Question Why is my Samsung monitor randomly going black for a second?

May 14, 2020
Hello everyone,

A few months ago, I purchased a G-Sync compatible Samsung monitor (connected by DP). Sadly, every time the monitor is powered on, after a few minutes, whether i’m browsing the internet or playing a game, it will turn black for merely a second and then return to normal. Sometimes it happens really early on, and sometimes it happens super late, but it only happens once and never again until I turn it off and on again.

One thing to note is that it turns black just like it would when you change your resolution or enable/disable G-Sync, so it’s not actually losing power.

I suspected it could’ve been the resolution changing on the fly (if that’s even possible). I don’t believe it’s my GPU or CPU, since their temps are fine and i’ve had no problems with the previous monitor: never a black screen.

I strongly believe it’s the monitor alone that’s causing the problem. I tried switching cable ends, as well as trying a different cable entirely. Updating the BIOS and graphics drivers didn’t do it either. A clean install of Windows 10 seemed promising, but didn’t fix it. I also tried messing around with the G-Sync options, enabling and disabling it, changing the response time within the OSD, which didn’t work either. Changing the variable refresh rate range with CRU didn’t help, but I thought it would.

All this to say, i’m very lost and would appreciate any help I can get.

My PC specs are as follows:
  • GTX 1080
  • Ryzen 5 1600
  • 16GB RAM
  • Samsung 1080p 240Hz monitor
  • EVGA 500W 80+

TL;DR: My G-Sync compatible monitor will turn black randomly for a second and then go back to normal, as if it were changing the resolution. Why is this happening? How can I fix it? Thank you so much!

Jan 13, 2021
I'm also experiencing the same problem with the monitor I bought a week ago to use it as a 2nd monitor along with my laptop. The monitor would go black for 1-3 seconds every once in a while and some days it won't. I've exhausted all possible solutions and I hope someone from this thread replies with any ounce of help to fixing this problem.

Laptop specs (Asus TUF FX504)
  • 12GB RAM
  • Nvidia GTX 1050ti
  • i5 8th Gen
My monitor is a Viewsonic VA2432 which has 75hz of refresh rate connected using HDMI cable.

update: my monitor only goes black whenever I use an application that uses a microphone (discord)

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021
Hello everyone,

A few months ago, I purchased a G-Sync compatible Samsung monitor (connected by DP). Sadly, every time the monitor is powered on, after a few minutes, whether i’m browsing the internet or playing a game, it will turn black for merely a second and then return to normal. Sometimes it happens really early on, and sometimes it happens super late, but it only happens once and never again until I turn it off and on again.

One thing to note is that it turns black just like it would when you change your resolution or enable/disable G-Sync, so it’s not actually losing power.

I suspected it could’ve been the resolution changing on the fly (if that’s even possible). I don’t believe it’s my GPU or CPU, since their temps are fine and i’ve had no problems with the previous monitor: never a black screen.

I strongly believe it’s the monitor alone that’s causing the problem. I tried switching cable ends, as well as trying a different cable entirely. Updating the BIOS and graphics drivers didn’t do it either. A clean install of Windows 10 seemed promising, but didn’t fix it. I also tried messing around with the G-Sync options, enabling and disabling it, changing the response time within the OSD, which didn’t work either. Changing the variable refresh rate range with CRU didn’t help, but I thought it would.

All this to say, i’m very lost and would appreciate any help I can get.

My PC specs are as follows:
  • GTX 1080
  • Ryzen 5 1600
  • 16GB RAM
  • Samsung 1080p 240Hz monitor
  • EVGA 500W 80+
TL;DR: My G-Sync compatible monitor will turn black randomly for a second and then go back to normal, as if it were changing the resolution. Why is this happening? How can I fix it? Thank you so much!
has your problem been fixed yet? I'm hoping for a solution since I'm also experiencing the same problem with my monitor.

Feb 16, 2021
I'm having the same problem! I've done everything from updating all drivers to trying a high speed HDMI cable but nothing has fixed the issue.