Apr 12, 2019
The power went out for us and the towns surrounding one night and afterword our upload speed became .14 if it would even register on the test. since then we have gotten a new router, I configured QoS, and swapped the power outlet. I am really puzzled as to why it would be this way. When you plug the cable directly into a PC, the upload is 15mbit. The first router was a netgear that we needed to replace anyway and so I replaced it with a Cisco RV110W. I really had high hopes of this working but it seemingly does the exact same thing somehow. any input would be awesome as they are surely going to tell us to but one of their expensive routers that they use to harvest your data and I would like to do anything to prevent that as well as have my own firewall setup and everything.

Last edited:
"When you plug the cable directly into a PC, the upload is 5mbit. "
I thought you were going directly to the router and not the modem.
So you are getting 5 Mb/s with the modem with a cable and not with the router with a cable?
Is it the same cable?
Obviously if this wasn't the second router I would be leaning on that it's the router.
If it's the same cable....and we assume it's not the router....it seems to not make much sense.

Apr 12, 2019
"When you plug the cable directly into a PC, the upload is 5mbit. "
I thought you were going directly to the router and not the modem.
So you are getting 5 Mb/s with the modem with a cable and not with the router with a cable?
Is it the same cable?
Obviously if this wasn't the second router I would be leaning on that it's the router.
If it's the same cable....and we assume it's not the router....it seems to not make much sense.
Same cable coming from the modem, we have tried other cables and get the same results. We purchased a new router and I updated its firmaware, and also tried disabling the firewall and messing with the QoS and all of this to no avail. Ps: the upload is 15mbit wired directly to the modem not 5, I just forgot but same difference. sad face

That wasn't intended to be yelling btw....I just wanted to stress I was talking about a different cable than the one from the PC to the router.

Also...being you had a power outage I would carefully inspect all the ethernet jacks and the ends of the cables you are using for signs of arcing like blackness or spall. Voltage spikes in the line can cause arcing....although just a power outage usually won't create voltage spikes of the magnitude necessary for that.....but lighting will. The remnants of the arcing can cause a bad connection.

I don't think it has to do with the power outlet.