[SOLVED] Why is putting a server so hard?

Ibraimo

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2016
I play Valorant and im from Southern Africa (Mozambique), and i play with 160ms on Barhain server, the valorant team has said they have plans for South African players but nothing came up, and im wordering why is it taking so long or why is it so hard, is it money? Covid? Not enough people?

Please explain to me what does it take to put a server?

How hard is it? and How much would it cost?

Lutfij

Titan
Cost of implementing a server for your region. The probable need to focus on other arena's of the map and not in Africa. Perhaps they are trying to tackle other agenda's on their list of tasks before they can reach your concern(which might be what they intend to do sooner than later). Perhaps they are already trying to get it ironed out with the authorities involved, since governments and legislature will be involved in some form of infrastructure roll out. It could be the lack of staff, or that working from home has severely limited outreach of infrastructure expansion.

If you're genuinely asking how hard it could, the simple answer is, it's hard since it's not one entity that's involved in making handshakes before you get to "log on to a server". In reality, a lot of zero's are involved and a lot of signatures from big wigs.

I'm speaking specifically about servers for games that are globally recognized, not your typical home server.

Ibraimo

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2016
Cost of implementing a server for your region. The probable need to focus on other arena's of the map and not in Africa. Perhaps they are trying to tackle other agenda's on their list of tasks before they can reach your concern(which might be what they intend to do sooner than later). Perhaps they are already trying to get it ironed out with the authorities involved, since governments and legislature will be involved in some form of infrastructure roll out. It could be the lack of staff, or that working from home has severely limited outreach of infrastructure expansion.

If you're genuinely asking how hard it could, the simple answer is, it's hard since it's not one entity that's involved in making handshakes before you get to "log on to a server". In reality, a lot of zero's are involved and a lot of signatures from big wigs.

I'm speaking specifically about servers for games that are globally recognized, not your typical home server.
ok so it could be many reasons as one of the main ones are authorizations? right?

On one hand, this is Riot Games. I kind of don't expect them to make due on their promises.

But for a more practical approach to this answer, outside of being able to do business in the country if they haven't secured those necessary permissions, there's the following you still have to overcome:
  • Finding a place with reliable internet infrastructure
  • Finding a building to house everything in
  • Evaluating the potential cost of utilities
  • Buying up the hardware to build and support the servers
  • Hiring the people to manage the server farm
And then you have to justify that spending the money to set that all up. If market research suggests that South Africa, or just Africa in general since it could possibly serve the continent, isn't going to generate enough money, then the big-wigs will likely just axe any plans to do so.