Question Why is there no difference in fps after changing the resolution in csgo.

Answer: yes

Commendable
Mar 16, 2021
Hi. I play cs with 200-450 fps. Specs: gtx 1650 gddr6 oc I3 10105f and 16gb ddr4 3000mhz. Currently im playing with a 1280x1024 75 hz (old) monitor.
When i was testing the resolutions, there was almost no difference. Droping from 1280x1024 to 640x480 gives like 10-15 fps. Im upgrading to a 1080p 144hz monitor and im wondering what the fps drop will be like. Im expecting around 20-30% less fps. I read somewhere that the no difference in fps means that there could be a bottleneck but in almost every game i play both the gpu and cpu work fine with eachother. None of them maxes out in any games. Any ideas from someone who upgraded their monitor and stayed with the same pc? Thanks in advance.

Lutfij

Titan
Happy New Year!

Your GPU will handle eSports titles without much fuss, though you will need to see if there are any hiccups when on a 1080p panel. If you do encounter an issue whereby you're not seeing much uplift, you might want to see if reinstalling your GPU drivers helps you out. Use DDU to wipe all GPU drivers off your platform, then manually reinstall your GPU driver sourced from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Commendable
Mar 16, 2021
Thanks for the reply! I will try this method. (btw i meant csgo, not source*, just in case if that changes your opinion on the performance.)
Happy new year and take care!

Im upgrading to a 1080p 144hz monitor and im wondering what the fps drop will be like.
Increasing resolution puts more work on GPU. So to answer that question you would need to know what GPU usage you have when playing at current resolution. Rough estimate based on pixel count is that if GPU usage is no more then 60% at 1280x1024 then you should not lose any FPS when going to 1080p (assuming there is no VRAM bottleneck at higher resolution, which for a game like CS at low settings should not happen). Of course there are other factors other then pixel count so take that as guideline.

Commendable
Mar 16, 2021
Increasing resolution puts more work on GPU. So to answer that question you would need to know what GPU usage you have when playing at current resolution. Rough estimate based on pixel count is that if GPU usage is no more then 60% at 1280x1024 then you should not lose any FPS when going to 1080p (assuming there is no VRAM bottleneck at higher resolution, which for a game like CS at low settings should not happen). Of course there are other factors other then pixel count so take that as guideline.
I just hopped on a competetive match, the gpu usage depends on the fps. When i lock it at 144, the usage is only around 40%, but when i unlock it, its 70-98%.(300-450fps)

What is your cpu?
If you get no difference in performance when you change resolution or settings, it is an indication that you are cpu limited.

I think csgo is very cpu intensive and is also a single threaded game.
Be careful about interpreting cpu usage %.
A single thread could be 100% busy but the cpu usage would be only 25% on a quad core processor.
Also realize that cpu processing and gpu processong are not necessarily concurrent.

Run the cpu-Z bench and look at the single thread performance rating.
If, for example you were using a I7-4790K you should get a number like 469:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/xb7lml

Commendable
Mar 16, 2021
What is your cpu?
If you get no difference in performance when you change resolution or settings, it is an indication that you are cpu limited.

I think csgo is very cpu intensive and is also a single threaded game.
Be careful about interpreting cpu usage %.
A single thread could be 100% busy but the cpu usage would be only 25% on a quad core processor.
Also realize that cpu processing and gpu processong are not necessarily concurrent.

Run the cpu-Z bench and look at the single thread performance rating.
If, for example you were using a I7-4790K you should get a number like 469:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/xb7lml
Hi! I mentioned my cpu but here it is: I3 10105f 3.7ghz 4.4 turbo
cpu-z bench: single core 468 multi core 2413
I know these arent the best results but with my gtx 1650 it gets the job done ( We will see what its capable of in 1080p)