Question Why process dont use 100% of system

Jan 1, 2020
Why some process don't use 100% CPU , GPU or Ram while they are running so slow . like when using a huge model in 3ds Max the navigation is very slow but CPU is at 20% Ram still has 10 gigs free and so on .

Programs only use as much RAM as needed, as do many graphics applications use only so much VRAM....

Naturally, if there is a storage, RAM speed/capacity issue, and/or GPU holding up the works, the CPU is quite often not fully tasked.

It'll be a long wait if expecting to see 100% RAM, GPU, CPU usage.... :)

Most often it's as simple as the programing of the software in use...some programs are written to use the maximum resources available and some are not as optimized.

Some programs have option settings which can change the amount of memory, cpu cores, and gpu resources used based on the users needs...it's worth investigating the FAQ page for any application you run to look for an optimization guide.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The cpu always runs at 100%. If it's clock speeds say it's at 5.0GHz, then it's pushing through the code as fast as it can, at 5.0GHz. Usage is not ability. Usage is how much of the cpu resources are used to get that 100% ability.

Think of it like hammering a nail into a piece of wood. You'll swing that hammer as fast as you can. But it's a little 22oz hammer. It will not require all your strength, it won't require both hands, won't require a long overhead swing or setting both feet firmly planted etc to swing it. If the hammer was an 8lb sledgehammer, that'd require more, all your strength, both hands, long overhead swing etc.

It's just a nail in a piece of wood. Cpu isn't any different, it'll work to its best ability, but it may not take much to get that ability.

Jan 1, 2020
Alright guys , then why operations tool long ? im talking about things that are not related to hard drive speed BTW , so my question is if none of the components are in 100% use why tasks are slow ? like navigating in 3ds max or selecting an object in 3ds max etc.

Jan 1, 2020
The cpu always runs at 100%. If it's clock speeds say it's at 5.0GHz, then it's pushing through the code as fast as it can, at 5.0GHz. Usage is not ability. Usage is how much of the cpu resources are used to get that 100% ability.

Think of it like hammering a nail into a piece of wood. You'll swing that hammer as fast as you can. But it's a little 22oz hammer. It will not require all your strength, it won't require both hands, won't require a long overhead swing or setting both feet firmly planted etc to swing it. If the hammer was an 8lb sledgehammer, that'd require more, all your strength, both hands, long overhead swing etc.

It's just a nail in a piece of wood. Cpu isn't any different, it'll work to its best ability, but it may not take much to get that ability.
"Usage is not ability. Usage is how much of the cpu resources are used to get that 100% ability." That got me really thinking can you explain a bit more ? or else i can't sleep for the rest of my life thinking about this phrase ,

Alright guys , then why operations tool long ? im talking about things that are not related to hard drive speed BTW , so my question is if none of the components are in 100% use why tasks are slow ? like navigating in 3ds max or selecting an object in 3ds max etc.
Most things in computing are sequential,that means that you have to solve A to solve B to solve C and so on so only one core can work at that problem,that's why you have low usage and low speeds.
The final rendering is parallel because the software already knows what the final picture is supposed to look like and there will be no changes to that it can just split up all the needed calculations and pass them to as many cores as you have available.

Jan 1, 2020
Most things in computing are sequential,that means that you have to solve A to solve B to solve C and so on so only one core can work at that problem,that's why you have low usage and low speeds.
The final rendering is parallel because the software already knows what the final picture is supposed to look like and there will be no changes to that it can just split up all the needed calculations and pass them to as many cores as you have available.
Wooow thanks . now its clear for me why GPU has so many cores , because they calculate stuff in parallel .

look here

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img921/561/eqZjnf.png

I'm trying to select a heavy model (about a million polygons) and here is my task manager , none of the cores are in full use , and you can see the memory and everything , but still it took about 5 seconds to select them (BTW forget the not responding thing in 3ds max its processing ...

CPU : 6700HQ
Ram : 16gb 2100
GPU : 970m
storage : Samsung 970 Evo

Wooow thanks . now its clear for me why GPU has so many cores , because they calculate stuff in parallel .

look here

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img921/561/eqZjnf.png

I'm trying to select a heavy model (about a million polygons) and here is my task manager , none of the cores are in full use , and you can see the memory and everything , but still it took about 5 seconds to select them (BTW forget the not responding thing in 3ds max its processing ...

CPU : 6700HQ
Ram : 16gb 2100
GPU : 970m
storage : Samsung 970 Evo
Task manager shows you the use of the cores but because windows juggles the threads around one thread using 100% of one core would show up as 12,5% usage over all cores.
Use a tool like process explorer and look at the usage of 3ds to see how many threads it actually uses and how much they max out.