[SOLVED] Wifi adapter randomly stopped working after a restart ?

dentfuse

Reputable
Jun 10, 2018
Hello,

A couple of hours ago I restarted my laptop because it wasn't detecting my earphone when I plugged them in. After restarting the audio problem was fixed but my wifi adapter (Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter) was no longer recognised.

Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device. (Code 56)

I restarted my laptop again thinking it was just some glitch or error, but nothing changed. I googled regarding this error and most solutions involved some VPN application misbehaving, but I didn't have any VPNs installed other than Bitdefender VPN, and no changes had been made to it recently. I ran a troubleshooter which recommeneded a network reset which I did, and uninstalled Bitdefender VPN just in cases that was causing any problems. But it didn't help my situation at all.

I then went and looked in event viewer and found error that occured on every restart and seemed related to the problem.
The inpoutx64 service failed to start due to the following error:
Access is denied.
The RasMan service depends on the SstpSvc service which failed to start because of the following error:
The operation completed successfully.

Upon googling it does indeed look as though it is related to some vpn tunneling issues or something, but I have no idea why that would be the case. I've uninstalled the device and rebooted, uninstalled drivers and rebooted, manually updated drivers by downloading from oem website but to no avail. I've also run sfc /scannow and chkdsk, both found no problems expect chkdsk found something in bitmap if I remember correctly, but I ran chkdsk /scan /F to fix it.
I've also tried booting linux and the adapter works fine hence it is definately a Windows issue.

Please assist.

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model laptop? Specs? Age?

On the laptop are you certain that only one network adapter is enabled? Either wired or wireless - just not both at the same time?

Does a wired network connection work?

Are you able to test using another wireless adapter? E.g. USB wireless adapter.

dentfuse

Reputable
Jun 10, 2018
Make and model laptop? Specs? Age?
Avita Liber, 3500U with integrated graphics, 8gb ram.
On the laptop are you certain that only one network adapter is enabled? Either wired or wireless - just not both at the same time?
Yes, well I did have some VMware virtual adapter installed but I've uninstalled them after this issue started. Now I've only got one adapter installed. Right now I'm using the internet via bluetooth.
Does a wired network connection work?
No tried usb tethering, detected but same error in device manager. Laptop doesn't have a ethernet port.
Are you able to test using another wireless adapter? E.g. USB wireless adapter.
I don't have any available, but I did test the one installed using linux, and it worked fine there.

dentfuse

Reputable
Jun 10, 2018
No Ethernet port: if available use a USB/Ethernet adapter to test.

Try running the built-in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also "sfc /scannow" a second time and then "dism":

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Fix Windows Update errors via DISM or System Update Readiness tool - Windows Server | Microsoft Docs
Hello, as I don't have any ethernet adapters so I can't test that right now.

I ran the troubleshooter, it recommended a network reset same as before. But after restart it didn't solve the problem.

Sfc /scannow didn't find any violations and dism also didn't find any component store corruptions.

Also another thing I noticed was that yesterday I was using the internet via Bluetooth, but forgot to turn it off before shutting down, and now today the Bluetooth PAN adapter is also stuck in the same error. Now I have absolutely no way of connecting to the internet on the laptop.

dentfuse

Reputable
Jun 10, 2018
Hello, I connected a wireless dongle, it showed up the same as using a usb tethering. Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing device, and the status is the same as the installed wireless card. Code 56. Sorry for bad formating I'm on phone.

dentfuse

Reputable
Jun 10, 2018
I figured out the problem. The VMWare adapters were the issue. I'd initially installed VMWare on an external HDD due to reasons. The system worked fine for 6 months. But apparantly a couple of days ago it started actually caring about them. Even after I'd uninstalled the VMWare adapters they still showed up in Network settings > View hardware and connection properties.

I then reconnected the external HDD and properly uninstalled VMWare and that instantly solved the problem and the adapters came back online. Thank you @Ralston18 (I don't know how mentions work) for you help!

TLDR: Uninstall any problems that have installed external adapters, including VPNs and software like VMWare.

Sep 25, 2021
I figured out the problem. The VMWare adapters were the issue. I'd initially installed VMWare on an external HDD due to reasons. The system worked fine for 6 months. But apparantly a couple of days ago it started actually caring about them. Even after I'd uninstalled the VMWare adapters they still showed up in Network settings > View hardware and connection properties.

I then reconnected the external HDD and properly uninstalled VMWare and that instantly solved the problem and the adapters came back online. Thank you @Ralston18 (I don't know how mentions work) for you help!

TLDR: Uninstall any problems that have installed external adapters, including VPNs and software like VMWare.
Ez clap