[SOLVED] Wifi Adapter working in 1 PC but not another

Aug 31, 2020
A few years ago a bought a PC and until my most recent move I've connected to the internet via ethernet. Never wifi. I mention this so anyone thinking of helping knows I have never connected this PC to wifi. In case that helps determine whether or not there is a manufacturer defect somewhere.

Where I am now I have no choice but to do Wifi so I bought a USB Wifi adapter, downloaded and installed the correct drivers. Problem is I can rarely get it to work and when it does work it only works for an hour before my PC acts like the adapter is not even there.

So I tried it in another PC and everything works great. Not a single problem.

Does anyone have any ideas why doesn't work in my PC? Tried a few things including moving it to a different USB slot.

And if there is no hope for a wifi adapter what are my other options? My PC's case and the motherboard doesn't allow the option for a wifi card (graphics card is thick enough that it prevents adding anything else.) So that's not the option.

Solution
Hmmm....it's always possible. I hope not tho cause I avoid everything "registry". From what I have been told 1 mistake in the Registry and your PC is nothing but a giant paperweight.

Since I know my ethernet port works fine I was thinking of trying something like this to create...if I remember correctly is called a Wifi Bridge? Connect this to my PC via ethernet and then connect the device to the Wifi. Would this device do the trick?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TQEX8BO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_GoCtFb9960MW2
Yes that should work. Most wireless routers will do the same thing, Access Point Mode / Range Extender Mode / Wireless Router Mode. Here is a good online review showing how it works.

View...
Are you getting a strong WiFi signal? Perhaps your PC is sitting in a bad spot or something close by is interfering with the signal.

Reactions: DaruniaJones88
Aug 31, 2020
From the PC in question? The 1 or 2 times it worked for a while the signal was good and other devices connect and work fine from further away. Most of the time it acts like there is no wifi adapter connected.

From the PC in question? The 1 or 2 times it worked for a while the signal was good and other devices connect and work fine from further away. Most of the time it acts like there is no wifi adapter connected.
When the WiFi adapter stops working, have you tried going to "PC Settings > Network & Internet > Network Status" and run the Network troubleshooter?

My apologies. It has that globe icon with the circle with the slash and says "no internet".
Could this be your issue, the latest Windows 10 "no internet" connection bug?

Aug 31, 2020
Hmmm....it's always possible. I hope not tho cause I avoid everything "registry". From what I have been told 1 mistake in the Registry and your PC is nothing but a giant paperweight.

Since I know my ethernet port works fine I was thinking of trying something like this to create...if I remember correctly is called a Wifi Bridge? Connect this to my PC via ethernet and then connect the device to the Wifi. Would this device do the trick?

Yes that should work. Most wireless routers will do the same thing, Access Point Mode / Range Extender Mode / Wireless Router Mode. Here is a good online review showing how it works.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQhEVE61qZY

Solution