Question Wifi Keeps Disconnecting After Initial Disconnect

Jan 7, 2019
So I've been having an issue with my wifi connection for a few months now. It only occurs on my PC, others devices unaffected. What happens is my wifi disconnects once then after I reconnect it will keep disconnecting every minute or so. The only way I've been able to solve the issue is temporarily by uninstalling the USB device in device manager (I'm on Windows 10 btw) then restarting my computer. The things which can cause the initial disconnection are my Xbox 360 wireless adaptor for controller (I know that this can cause issues with wifi but at least in the past when it did cause a disconnection the wifi would soon enough reconnect), a restart to do an update or a game crashing (which is a whole other issue). Basically, once it disconnects that first time the issue begins and it isn't resolved until I do the aforementioned fix. But once the computer loses connection again - through any of the above reasons - the issue reoccurs.

I've had my current wireless router (Virgin Media) for over a year, much longer than the issue has been going on. As I mentioned I use a USB device for wifi, but I've used that for years without any issue before this. When I use the wifi troubleshooter I get the message "The default gateway is not available". Apart from that, I'm stumped. I haven't found any posts with this particular issue. I'm not sure whether my router has too many devices registered or something or whether a windows update has caused it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
With everything mentioned in your thread's body, you forgot to mention the make and model of your wireless adapter. Please include your full specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include your wireless adapters make and model and if not possible, a link to the product. You might also want to check and see if your motherboard has any BIOS updates pending and if you're needing any chipset/USB driver (re)installation or updates.

Speaking of which, which version of Windows 10 are you on?

Jan 7, 2019
CPU: AMD AM3+ FX-4300 X4 Quad Core 3.8GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
RAM: DDR3 4GB HyperX Fury (x2)
HDD: Western Digital 1TB SATAIII 64MB
GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280X VAPOR-X OC
PSU: Coolermaster 600W B2 Gaming Power Supply
Chassis: Unsure

Wireless Adapter: Wireless 11N 300MBPS NWU285V2

I'll look into the updates. I'm on version 10.0.17763