How To WiFi network is not displayed / BSOD "DPC Watchdog Violation" when connecting to a WiFi network

Ybr

Dec 27, 2022
Hey there,

I just wanted to share my experience on the two topics mentioned in the title, because I could find not that much information on these topics (so search engines could easier find it). If you have read my other topic (https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/photo-apps-do-not-recognize-wifi-any-more.3790438), then you can just ignore this one. I will mostly copy here just my last message from this topic.

So how I solved the two problems:
  • On one of my laptops my WiFi network was just not visible / displayed
  • On another laptop the same WiFi network was visible, but when I tried to connect to it, a BSOD page was displayed with the error "DPC Watchdog Violation"
Solution

Also the problem has been resolved by contacting the support - beside that I looked up in the internet, but without any success (see also here for the solution with pictures: https://ccm.net/forum/affich-1165735-photo-apps-do-not-recognize-wifi-any-more). The guy said, that the WiFi being shared is of that new standard, which is not supported by my devices. However... I do not know... One of my laptops (where the BSOD has been displayed) is okay pretty old, maybe 5-7 years, but another one (where the WiFi network just was missing), it is at highest 3 years old... No idea.

I will try to describe here, what the guy did (unfortunately I saw not everything - he was doing pretty fast :D ).

Also he opened the settings of my router (192.168.1.1). From there he opened "Network Setting - Wireless". Then he opened one of the tabs there (do not know what one exactly). There he changed the type of WiFi to be shared (if I remember it correctly, it was selected the bottom one, something with "802.11 ... mixed" in name, and he selected the one 1-2 lines above, also with "802.11 ... mixed" in name, but a bit differently).

The guy himself said, he deactivated AC (whatever it is :D).

Hopefully it will help somebody :)

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure who that guy may have been but if you granted him access to your router then your network and supported network devices may no longer be secure.

Did you change the admin name or at least the router's password?

If you have not changed the router's password then you should do so immediately.

I would also change all my computer passwords as well.

Ybr

Dec 27, 2022
It was official support of my internet provider... He have had even admin password from my router. I think it's okay.

I have anyway no admin access to my router, so not able to change the password.

Ralston18

Titan
ISP provided router?

The only reason he had the password was that the router (or perhaps modem/router if combined) was never changed from its' default admin login and password settings. Or he had you do a factory reset to force the router back to the default values. Did you push and hold a small button on the back of the router for him. I.e., a "factory reset"?

After he fixed things he should have told you to change the login name and password to different values known only to you/the network admin person.

And if he did not do so then he was quite remiss in not telling you to do so. Your network and computers are not secure.

= = = =

What make and model router?

The possible default admin names, passwords, and default Gateway IP addresses are widely known and published. Anyone plugging into your network (Ethernet) or wirelessly (even worse if the router's wireless functions are enabled) can gain access to the router, the network, and likely the network devices.

FYI:

https://www.softwaretestinghelp.com/default-router-username-and-password-list/

I have a Linksys router: Default IP 192.168.1.1, login = admin, password = Admin

I can tell you that because when the router was originally installed the first thing I did was to change the login and password. Login name not identifiable with me, strong passwords for router and wireless networks.

Who manages your home network? If not you then tell that admin person about what has (or has not been done).

If you, then open a browser, type in the applicable router IP address, and use the default login and password to access the router's configuration settings. Including changing the login name and password.

For specific details, go online and find the router's User Guide/Manual. May be difficult to find because many router manufacturers now want end users to configure the router via the manufactuer's website. And some manufacturers are not totally open about other options - such as directly accessing the router via a browser.

And, if applicable, I recommend also changing the wirelesss network name(s) and passwords.

Take a look at your router and post accordingly.

Ybr

Dec 27, 2022
"ISP provided router?" - exactly

"The only reason he had the password was that the router (or perhaps modem/router if combined) was never changed from its' default admin login and password settings" - no, the password was real (letters, digits...). It was printed on the router, I entered it and then the guy from ISP did the changes and changed it, so I do not know it any more. But I got another user, where only I know the password. Anyway, I trust this guy.

"Or he had you do a factory reset to force the router back to the default values. Did you push and hold a small button on the back of the router for him. I.e., a "factory reset"?" - this not. Neither nor.

"What make and model router?" - that's Zyxel DX3301-T0