[SOLVED] Wifi speeds significantly lower then any other device

Jul 28, 2021
I use the xfi xb7 router with a xfi pod that I recently installed to get rid of a dead spot in my home. I have a 400mbps plan. Prior to getting the xfi pod alll device in my room got 20-25mbps now they get 350-400mbps.... except my pc, it still is at 20-25mbps. On the xfi app it says my pc is connected to the pod so it cant be that it isnt swapping to the pod. Would it be the wifi adapter on my pc?
The adapter on my pc is the built in one on the Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi motherboard.

Solution
Bandwidth decreases as distance increases unless the wireless has a good 5 ghz 802.11 ac or ax protocol. Even then. it’s a complicated mess. If there’s not a external antenna from the device that needs internet then you need other devices to obtain that signal more efficiently. Creating nodes will indeed boost performance and stability of a connection, if the nodes can be set up to physically see each other is ideal. If it can’t then ya, you gotta figure out what frequencies to use.. “when and where”. 25 mbps is beyond efficient for the average person. 10 mbps is pretty much the luxury status of what person wants and needs. Massive file downloads would be the only reason you would want to exceed 25 mbps. Latency does, not change based...

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
I use the xfi xb7 router with a xfi pod that I recently installed to get rid of a dead spot in my home. I have a 400mbps plan. Prior to getting the xfi pod alll device in my room got 20-25mbps now they get 350-400mbps.... except my pc, it still is at 20-25mbps. On the xfi app it says my pc is connected to the pod so it cant be that it isnt swapping to the pod. Would it be the wifi adapter on my pc?
The adapter on my pc is the built in one on the Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi motherboard.

As inconvenient that it may be, I always connect the pc first to the router ethernet port for a speed test thus giving me a better feel for the NIC first. The second test would be the wifi while it’s close to the router.

Ralston18

Titan
On your PC - is only one network adapter enabled?

Only one network adapter, either wired or wireless, should be enabled. As I understand the post you are using wireless so the motherboard's wired adapter should be disabled.

If that does not make a difference then run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes" via the Command Prompt. Post the results.

microtank

Commendable
Mar 26, 2021
Bandwidth decreases as distance increases unless the wireless has a good 5 ghz 802.11 ac or ax protocol. Even then. it’s a complicated mess. If there’s not a external antenna from the device that needs internet then you need other devices to obtain that signal more efficiently. Creating nodes will indeed boost performance and stability of a connection, if the nodes can be set up to physically see each other is ideal. If it can’t then ya, you gotta figure out what frequencies to use.. “when and where”. 25 mbps is beyond efficient for the average person. 10 mbps is pretty much the luxury status of what person wants and needs. Massive file downloads would be the only reason you would want to exceed 25 mbps. Latency does, not change based on your megabits. It’s your connection type and stability of the connection. After reviewing complaints about major internet providers.. it’s clear the customer is 99.9 percent at fault for their instability issues.

a law has passed that broadband services have to provide 2 mbps. A ton of things can be done on 2 mbps, is sufficient on doing all computer activities regardless of technical skill in the field of computers.

stablizing the signal for at least 2 weeks should be what want to do. verse, maximizing mbps obtain ability.

Solution