[SOLVED] Will a 110w gpu work with a 250w psu?

Apr 19, 2021
I have a r7 370 2gb which needs 110w of external power but i dont think my 250w psu can handle it

Solution
Get a quality 550w, just to give yourself some headroom. Getting a bit more than you need means less heat and noise, PSU wise, and less stress on it.

A Corsair CX550m being the minimum quality unit, I would recommend.

InvalidError

Titan
I am sure your PSU hates you for it too.
Depends on how well-designed the PSU is, which in turn depends almost entirely on how long the manufacturer wants it to last. You can build a 300W or 700W PSU using almost exactly the same parts, except one will last 10-20 years in an industrial environment while the other might die a day after its 3-years warranty expires.

Reactions: white.a.drew
rating has nothing to do with quality, you have gold rated PSUs that are crap and bronze models with better caps and fans

a decent 450 will do, even 350 if it's a slim PC that won't be upgraded beyond this point, depending on the CPU and other parts
Rating has everything to do with how long the warrenty will normally last though... Thays why i always recommend gold at the least you will get a longer warrenty for probablems that arrive. No rating has nothing to due with the actual preformace just there quality standards. Thanks...

InvalidError

Titan
Rating has everything to do with how long the warrenty will normally last though...
80+ ratings are on the honor system, there is no certification authority. Zebronics or some other third-world PSU vendor could put a 80+ Titanium sticker on their crap if they wanted to. While that would technically make the vendor liable for fitness-for-intended-use or false representation type lawsuits, good luck getting any money from off-shore companies unless you live in a country where the importer inherits the liability when the manufacturer has no assets within the jurisdiction to leverage sanctions against assuming you aren't the importer yourself by ordering from abroad.