[SOLVED] Will a lot of ram with a old cpu works for editing?

Qwarty

Reputable
Feb 8, 2016
Hi, I have an pretty old Intel Core i7 -4790 3.6 GHz with 12 gb a ram. I also have a ok graphic card and I can play the games I want smoothly. But when I want to do video editing with 4k videos my editing softwares are very slow and everything is buggy. I don't mind about final rendering time but while I work I sometimes can't even click on preview play on After Effect on some file with a little edit on it because it so laggy. I wonder if I bought 32 gb or even 64 gb ram if it would make a difference or my cpu would "cap" it? Is there other things I could do? My software and cache files are in a SSD. Thanks a lot!

Solution
when it gets laggy is all your ram being used?

that's the answer you need. if it is, then more ram would help. if it is not all usd, then the lag lies elsewhere. the cpu won't be super fast at it but it should handle it no problem. never played with 4k video but i used to do 1080p on my 4690k system with no issues. though i did have 16 gb ram. render time was still slower than a modern system but it still worked fine and let me preveiw things.

of course working with 4k is 4 times the data per frame so it's likely the cpu is bogging down as well. you'll have to monitor the system to see where the slow down is

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

that's the answer you need. if it is, then more ram would help. if it is not all usd, then the lag lies elsewhere. the cpu won't be super fast at it but it should handle it no problem. never played with 4k video but i used to do 1080p on my 4690k system with no issues. though i did have 16 gb ram. render time was still slower than a modern system but it still worked fine and let me preveiw things.

of course working with 4k is 4 times the data per frame so it's likely the cpu is bogging down as well. you'll have to monitor the system to see where the slow down is

Reactions: Qwarty
Solution

Qwarty

Reputable
Feb 8, 2016

Oh yea I guess I should've check that first. I did a test while editing and my CPU is at 100% and my ram is at 90%. I guess I'll need to upgrade both :/

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
your cpu should stay near 100%. that means its working as hard as it can for you. a new cpu should also stay close to max for the same reason.

but if your ram or storage is slowing it down, then that should be remedied.

i can say from experience that you should be using 2 different drives. one for the source file and one for the finished one. i saw a solid 75% or more increase in frames processed when i did this. super fast ssd's may not see as much of a boost but it should still help get a bit more done with your cpu not being slowed by all the ram swapping going on.

wil help use less ram as well for that part of the process since data won't be sitting in ram waitng to be written to your drive. it'll pass right on to it freeing up some resources :)

Reactions: Qwarty