Will a "power cut" damage my pc???

Yoav123

Prominent
Mar 27, 2017
Hey everybody,
Here's my gaming pc build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nsDxQV

The computer is few weeks old, so the sudden power "cut" today got me worried for a while..
BY "power cut" I mean that my power for my whole house suddenly stopped and came back again almost instantly, while all electric devices (e.g. my pc) lost their power and shut down. My pc then made a reset and instantly booted back up (without me having to start it up by myself). I was wondering, I don't think I have any power surge protection installed in my pc, could that power "cut" have damaged my pc/hardware???
It seems to be working fine I'm just worried for the health of my precious machine... The only positive is that luckily I was only browsing the internet and wasn't working on any file so didn't end up losing anything (except a little bit of my time of course).

I think what I experineced is a brown out reset (light dimmed, power cut for just few seconds)

P.S could a power surge also harm other perhiphrals and/or equipment such as a mouse, a mechanical keyboard (+its leds) and my monitor?

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

Solution
Nothing to worry about, if you really want to make sure for the peace of mind try running quick S.M.A.R.T tests on the hdd which had OS and/or game installed. A quick look in the health tab of hd tune pro should be enough to make sure if everything is ok with your hdd or not in MOST cases.
Nice build. ;)
A momentary power failure is not likely to damage the system hardware but it CAN mess up the HDD/SSD filing systems, if your area is prone to these outages, I suggest you get a UPS to prevent possible data loss.
Power SURGES are a different animal and can be very damaging, particularly lightning strikes, even those many miles away, quite a few UPS have this type of surge protection built in, so, again, adding one would be a sensible precaution if you live in an area where they are common.

Sohaib

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
lol come to Pakistan where we have 6-8 hours load shedding on DAILY basis for past 10 years so i can probably tell the best from experience then anyone else here can, NO power cut or fluctuation WILL not damage your PC unless you have extremely poorly made Power Supply.

Sudden power loss CAN cause data corruption or even lead to bad sector (extremely rare scenario) but its not gonna damage anything else. A High voltage surge on the other hand can cause some serious sparks inside your PC. If power loss is a serious issue where you live like me then get a UPS.

Reactions: FPScanada

Yoav123

Prominent
Mar 27, 2017

How do I know whether what happened to me is a power cut or surge? The power loss was momentary and came back up straight away.. I suppose it was a power failure then?

Yoav123

Prominent
Mar 27, 2017

Sounds really annoying to have inconsistent power...
NO power cut or fluctuation WILL not damage your PC unless you have extremely poorly made Power Supply.
Was that a double negative there? lol
So did I have a power surge or not? And if I wasn't working on anything (was only browsing internet) and my computer seems to be working fine, I could assume that everything is ok?

Last question - Is it true to say that momentary power loss like what I experienced could only damage HDD and SSD but not anyhting else? In what situations will it damage them? I mean I wasn't running and processes or donwloads, but I was simply watching seomthign on youtube...

Oh and do you know anything about the P.S thingy?

Yoav123

Prominent
Mar 27, 2017
Hello again everyone involved in this thread. Today I had another incident where my father accidentally turned off the power from the power box using the main power switch without a warning. My first question: In this situation there won't be a surge right?
Also again I had to deal with the unexpected shutdown of my computer and also the annoyance of being in the middle of a game.
After I turned the power back on I turned on my pc and everything seems to be working fine (No HDD problems occurred just a usual typical startup). Should I run some more tests or am I fine?

Thanks!

Sohaib

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
Nothing to worry about, if you really want to make sure for the peace of mind try running quick S.M.A.R.T tests on the hdd which had OS and/or game installed. A quick look in the health tab of hd tune pro should be enough to make sure if everything is ok with your hdd or not in MOST cases.

Solution