Question Will a single 8-pin cable with a 2 x 8-pin splitter work for an RX 6700 XT ?

Zaraki Zenken Besin

Distinguished
May 13, 2015
db4b5dfdff1344ef4f1bd4b2d2300e6b.jpg_720x720q80.jpg

I recently bought an RX 6700 XT 12GB and it requires 2 x 8-pins power cables.
Will a single 8-pin cable with a 2 x 8-pin splitter work without problem or will it probably cause low voltage or something?

Do I really need to use 2 separate 8-pins from the PSU ?

The actual answer depends on the details of how the cable itself is made.

Unless you buy a cheap power supply the vendor has done things like use a higher gauge wire on the cables. This allows it to carry more power. The GPU itself doesn't really know how many wires and there sizes are connected only how much power total it can draw. Once you get back into the power supply itself everything in effect connects up to one very large wire.
Even on the video card all the wires are connected back together on the board.

As long as you didn't buy some unknown brand you got shipped directly from china from ali express the engineers at the company likely have designed the cable so they can be used in the way you need.

It all depends on if you have a second cable that you can use. There really is no disadvantage to running 2 cable so you might as well use it.

I guess I'll have to use two separate 8pins?
It looks like that PSU has two separate 8-pin cables each with two 8-pin connectors on them. Is there some reason you don't want to use the two separate cables?

The 6700 XT is low enough power you should be able to use a single cable with both connectors if you need to. I didn't see any restrictions in any of the PSU documentation which means this operation should be fine. Personally speaking I prefer using separate cables just to ensure best power delivery, but this is less important the further away from max capacity you are.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, Seasonic does not recommend putting two 8 pin connectors .
A call to Seasonic customer support will get you an authorized answer.
The cables will have 6+2 configuration.
This is to allow connection to a gpu with a 6 and an 8 pin connection.
Neatness counts, but I would use two cables.

Zaraki Zenken Besin

Distinguished
May 13, 2015
If I recall correctly, Seasonic does not recommend putting two 8 pin connectors .
A call to Seasonic customer support will get you an authorized answer.
The cables will have 6+2 configuration.
This is to allow connection to a gpu with a 6 and an 8 pin connection.
Neatness counts, but I would use two cables.
thank you, using two cables now just to make sure
It looks like that PSU has two separate 8-pin cables each with two 8-pin connectors on them. Is there some reason you don't want to use the two separate cables?

The 6700 XT is low enough power you should be able to use a single cable with both connectors if you need to. I didn't see any restrictions in any of the PSU documentation which means this operation should be fine. Personally speaking I prefer using separate cables just to ensure best power delivery, but this is less important the further away from max capacity you are.
thank you, was planning to use single cable so it would look neat and minimalist, anyways using 2 cables now just to make sure
The actual answer depends on the details of how the cable itself is made.

Unless you buy a cheap power supply the vendor has done things like use a higher gauge wire on the cables. This allows it to carry more power. The GPU itself doesn't really know how many wires and there sizes are connected only how much power total it can draw. Once you get back into the power supply itself everything in effect connects up to one very large wire.
Even on the video card all the wires are connected back together on the board.

As long as you didn't buy some unknown brand you got shipped directly from china from ali express the engineers at the company likely have designed the cable so they can be used in the way you need.

It all depends on if you have a second cable that you can use. There really is no disadvantage to running 2 cable so you might as well use it.
thank you, all solved now
I wouldn't use that cable. A single 8-pin is only rated for 150W, and you'd be drawing as high as 300W through it if you tried to power two 8-pin connectors with it.
It may technically work but the best practice I’d run 2 cables from the psu. What power supply are you attempting to use?

Reactions: thestryker