Question Will a Skylake i7 be able to handle streaming YouTube, Hulu, and Netflix at 4K? If not, will lower resolutions work?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
This is a bit of a puzzle for me. I'm trying to find information for someone, to see if they can use an i7-6700 system for their needs.

Sounds simple enough, except that they have a 4K monitor and I think they do all their streaming with 4K video.

I found some older info that says Netflix requires a Kaby Lake or newer to do 4K streaming.

I found exactly NOTHING that makes mention of any CPU requirements for Hulu or YouTube.

So, can anyone confirm:
  1. Is it true that Netflix 4K requires Kaby Lake, but lower resolutions can use older CPUs?
  2. Does YouTube have any kind of hard requirements for 4K? If so, any hard requirements for lower resolutions as well?
  3. Same question as #2, but for Hulu.

Thanks. My web-searching has been just a confusing jamble.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well there was some requirements related to minimum CPU with Windows if I recall. I want to say it was forcing people to use Edge for 4K playback on some services. I think it was mostly to scare people into upgrading.

A lot of the services only support 4K via apps and certified devices, so it may just be checking if they are available through the Microsoft Store.

Reactions: Order 66

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I used to run a i7-4770k on my HTPC, but I also used a GTX750Ti, GTX950, GT1030, and Intel A380 for video decode. (now an i3-12100F)

An i3-12100 and a cheap DDR4 motherboard is an option if you do need a newer CPU. Certainly the more recent Intel graphics can handle it.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
In this case, it's a matter of what is currently available vs getting a new platform.

But, wait, does this mean that, if he's got a decent or relatively modern GPU, he doesn't need to worry about the "Kaby Lake minimum" on the CPU?

Netflix's wording makes it a little unclear:
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23931

Under "Netflix in Ultra HD" it mentions:
  • One or more of these graphics processing units (GPU) that support watching in Ultra HD:
    • NVIDIA GeForce GPU meeting these requirements.
    • AMD Radeon RX 400 series or newer GPU
    • An Intel 7th generation Core CPU or newer, or an AMD Ryzen CPU.

Note:

You may need to install the latest graphics drivers to watch in Ultra HD.

That seems to imply that Kaby Lake is required only if using the iGPU rather than an external GPU. But, I'm also afraid of reading too much into it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I think that is how I would interpret that. I have vague recollections of that being the case when everyone was freaking out over the requirement. Netflix just didn't have a comprehensive list of supported hardware at the time.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have an i5 6600 in use as an HTPC. The biggest thing I noted while using just iGPU is that scrolling scenes tend to stutter a bit. I rectified it pretty readily with the use of a dGPU (a 750ti) which eliminated most of that issue, I won't say all. I moved it down from a 4K TV to another at 1080 and it works fine there.

I also used a 1080 (card) on a different box for that spot and it was perfect for 4K. The 3070 I have now there is complete overkill.

Reactions: Order 66

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I was always 'downgrading' to make mine more power efficient. A380 in there now is to keep an eye on the state of the drivers. Ran the 4770k with a 3Ghz max boost, all core 2.4Ghz, 45W I think I let it have.

i3-12100F does a good job on its own at power saving, much like my older i3-4130T (ran the stock 4770k cooler, which worked great on such a tiny TDP)

sonofjesse

Distinguished
I7-6700 was GREAT in its time, but in my opinion didn't age as gracefully as the 2600k or the 4770.

I had a i5 6600 as a media PC as well, that machine still running with a 4k TV and it works fine .

Upgrading to a later CPU would really help performance.

Hope you get it sorted out.

drjohnnyfever

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020
I used to run a i7-4770k on my HTPC, but I also used a GTX750Ti, GTX950, GT1030, and Intel A380 for video decode. (now an i3-12100F)

An i3-12100 and a cheap DDR4 motherboard is an option if you do need a newer CPU. Certainly the more recent Intel graphics can handle it.

Until last summer, I was using an old Gateway with an Intel CPU w/graphics for our streamer. I think I bought it in 2007??? I ended up putting a cheap graphics card in because I needed an additional HDMI output. A Radeon R7 240. It worked well, but I wanted to update to Win11 and that PC wasn't compatible, so I did what Eximo did. Inexpensive MOBO off of Amazon Warehouse and an Intel i3-12100. I also upgraded the GPU for $100 to an RX 580. Even added a Sound Blaster AE5-pro sound card for cheap from the Amazon Warehouse.

The newer computer is better in all ways - picture, sound, and navigation. The i3-12100 is a gem. I don't need 4k video, but everything runs thru this PC as it ran thru the old one - Netflix, disney, from a server pc via wifi. You can't go wrong with that option. Definitely a great UHD option.

Idk if the RX580 I mentioned is 4k able, I think it would be...... but the i3-12100 onboard UHD supposedly is 4k at 60Mhz according to an Amazon review. I didn't see it in the specs, tho. Good luck.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welp, I gathered the info together - both what could be concluded and what couldn't be.

This was for a PC I was going to sell to someone. I didn't want to sell to him unless I was sure it could meet the needs he'd stated.

That said, even with the unknowns for video, the guy decided his other regular use outside of the streaming would make it worthwhile, so, he bought it anyway.