Will an AM2 Athlon X2 fit in a Socket 939?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FractionalOne

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
Hi everyone,
I was hoping to get some feedback on an issue i recently ran in to trying to upgrade my wife's (Socket 939) processor.

Here's her current motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130037
(You can see it says in the Socket Type, Athlon 64 X2.)

Here's the new processor i got:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MNA082
(I don't know, when you click the "More about this product" link. It doesn't say in there specifically it's an AM2 processor. When i got the box though, there's an AM2 sticker on it.) In the "more about this product link" it also says this:
Smooth and Efficient Upgrades
Additionally, the elegant design of the AMD64 architecture allowed for the planning of dual-core processors from the ground up, which means that the AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core processor is designed to fit in the same 939-pin infrastructure as single-core processors. All that is required is a BIOS update, saving our partners the costs of redesigns and obsolete inventory.
Am i wrong to believe this AM2 should fit in a 939? Perhaps this was misleading? or am i a dummy and missing something totally obvious (which happens a lot =(

So, does anyone know with a good deal of certianty if this AM2 Athlon X2 processor will fit in my wifes Socket 939?

Thanks in Advance!

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
That's a definite no. Socket AM2 and Socket 939 are completely different. It shouldn't fit, and it DEFINITELY won't work.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I don't mean to be nasty here, but why would you think that that processor you bought would work in the old motherboard!?!? all it takes is a quick googling or wikipedia to see what the difference is...

I guess I have to give the OP credit since he didn't buy an intel processor...

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

In a nut shell

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever will a AM2 chip plug in to a socket 939 motherboard

Ask TC...

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
short answer: no. long answer: nope.

the 2 sockets are completely different from eachother. not only will the am2 cpu not physically fit in the slot, it has a different number of pins and it's electrically different.

NO NO NO NO NO !!!! Do not try and force an AM2 CPU into a 939 board. Anyway you have a great socket 939 board, but you can't really find socket 939 CPUs anymore. Your going to have to look for one on eBay.

As for the CPU that you got you're going to need a good AM2 board. You're also going to need DDR2 Ram for that new board. I recommend getting an AM2+ board though if your going to upgrade it latter. AMDs new socket AM3 CPUs are suppose to be compatible with AM2+ boards, but you won't be able to use AM2+ CPUs in AM3 boards since AM3 boards are suppose to be DDR3 boards and the controllers inside AMDs current CPUs only support DDR2 memory, not DDR3.

harrycat88

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Don't waste your money on a new AM2 motherboard. When you switch from 939 to AM2, there isn't a whole lot of difference in performance between the two. The best advice is to return the CPU and look on ebay for a socket 939 X2 or a 939 Opteron Denmark 2.4GHz or faster and then over clock the hell out of it.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006

While there may not be performace reasons to upgrade, considering the cost of a Skt939 chip these days, it is better to buy a new motherboard+CPU+RAM particularly if he gets a new AM2+ board giving him an upgrade path.

Won't fit, won't work.

I was ready to rip you a new one, however, I've got to give you credit, it does not say "AM2" once on that page, even in the "Product Details".

However, it does provide item model number "ADA5600CZBOX", which you could have looked up. Also, it says that it is compatible with DDR2, which means it is NOT S939. You can get a very affordable AM2 mobo that will allow a future upgrade to quad core or triple cripple processors (but you'll need new DDR2 RAM too!).

Sorry about your luck mate!

LOL, why is everyone hatin' on my rig! (Including myself.....)

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

I never hated your rig, just prompting a response !!! :)

Remember, I was a bought at the top of the price chain AMD4800x2 ( cost me around £400 if i remember ) to be told the next week almost that AMD had dropped 939 for 940...

Good job i didnt get a fx60, i would be dissing AMD even more, creating hate websites etc..

Anyway, now AMD has employed a Intel Engineer with tech sheets - whos playing the evil card......

AMD for Wife, more like AMD for the dog...to watch kittens running around with string...

FractionalOne

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
I knew as soon as i saw the "AM2" sticker on the side of the box, i'd have to return it. I just wanted to make sure. Like TC said though, there was no mention of "AM2" anywhere on Amazons page, in the description, or on the picture. I just saw the "Athlon X2" and kind of assumed.. my bad there :( . I should have done more research and looked up the model number or something though.

I'll return it, get my money back, and probably just upgrade her mobo and ram. Thanks everyone for your time and all your replies!

imneverlast

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I have Been experiencing this same problem.

The only difference is that I had a feeling that since the 939 is discontinued that some (a lot) of sites are making this REALLY difficult.

some even post am2/939 or am2+/939 making a novice think he can just get it and it will work.

I have never seen a AM2 - nor have i seen a 939. i have a board here however that is equipped with a socket 939. I have had this brand new board for years on end. I have read Horrible things about it. AWFUL THINGS! but it's a brand new board, i can't just throw it away.

have you guessed what is it? OK... it's a KV2 Lite ECS board. ok now stop laughing.

I cannot just toss this board out. LOL so what i was doing was looking for a dirty cheap CPU for it so I can see for myself that it blows. but i didnt want to get a single core 10.00 CPU. I figured i could get a nice dual core for cheap since they are now discontinued.

Boy was i wrong! Jeeze! these processors are still High as can be, good grief! For a bad Boy one you can spend 400.00 easy! and If you go old stock brand new retail you can blow over 1000.00 still AMAZING!!!!! :fou:

This ECS Board cost 79.00 back in the day - it's got agp and is reported DISMAL in the over clock Dept - there is about a snowballs chance in Haiti That I will be putting a 400.00 cpu in this board. HA!

that 10.00 3000+ single core is looking pretty sexy - Maybe i can just put a bag on her face and think about that 400.00 dual Core under the street Lamp on the corner. :bounce:
sure would be nice to find that silly newbie ebayer that doesn't know what they have and/or misspelled something drastically so i can snag me up deal.

Good luck to you and your wife's upgrade. i am going to take a look at the board you posted. I forgot to do that. if it is a purple ESC i will need to run to the bathroom b4 i pee myself laughing.
This board really does look cool and I have a cool card for it from back in the day - a Nvidia GT6800 OC. i really want to prove everyone wrong but i am having serious doubts.

imneverlast

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
just looked at your MSI - wow! looks cool, i haven't used MSI before - like ECS - i swore to never buy one cause of the reviews and cheapness. But Like the ESC - if some one were to give me one - I'd have to try it.

people say bad things about SOYO - but i have never had anything but great luck with them.
ya never can tell i guess.
sure would be nie if some one just came up with one cpu that does everything forever and was faster than anyone ever needed. HA!

freestile

Distinguished
May 6, 2009

maybe i'm missing something here... you stated $400.00 for a dual core? are we talking USD? i just upgraded from 939 to AM2 this week. i bought an OEM 4400 AMD dual core CPU for $50.00 from Compusa.

freestile

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
also, does anyone know if a single core Athlon 64 CPU is compatible with AM2 mobo's? i ask b/c, if its working, it just dawned on me that i could've used my single core 3200 AMD Athlon CPU from my old computer. that would've bought me some time and money to purchase a faster dual core CPU. oh well, the dual core 4400 is working nicely, for now... only $80.00 [usd] to upgrade to faster CPU's in the future if necessary.

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Oh boy! I get to start another long string of NO's. Have you, by any chance, looked at the pinout on the two chips?

Damn! Hella beat me, :(

freestile

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
funny MISRy :p but hey, i had to ask. i just built a shuttle G2 6800 and the specs from their website indicate:

PROCESSOR Supports AMD Sempron™/ Athlon™ 64 / Athlon™ 64 X2
1 GHz HyperTransport Technology x16 Up/Down links to AMD socket AM2 CPUs

AMD Sempron 3400+ 1.8GHZ 256KB AM2
Optional - AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4GHZ
Optional - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.4GHZ

so i'm thinking, if it isn't toast, my old school 3200 single core CPU would've work and would've saved me fiddy bucks for now... if not, thats comforting to know. i rushed through recovery, however, looks like i made some brilliant choices in a short amount of time, while under pressure :ange:

freestile

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
that's the thing, i don't know if it's an AM2 single core... i bought the computer in 2006 and i don't think AM2 was available back then. hey, what can i say, all i know is that it's an AMD 64 3200 single core CPU. again, the 4400 CPU i bought was only $50.00. my system black screened and would not post, so i had to get it done, cheaply, so i went for it. at least i'm up and running. i can [later on] upgrade to a 6000 dual core chip for $80.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.