[SOLVED] will being bottlenecked affect fps?

Feb 27, 2022
So I currently am running a ryzen 5 2600, 6c/12t, with an rtx 3060, and am looking to upgrade my cpu to either a ryzen 7 5800x or a ryzen 9 5900x, and am aware of the enourmos gpu bottleneck running a ryzen 9 with a 3060, so am wondering, will that bottleneck get me worse frames than my current build for gaming purposes? Should I go with the ryzen 9 or the ryzen 7?

Solution
The term 'bottlenecked' is often thrown about/misused so much as to lose any sense of meaning. Something is always limiting performance, be it GPU and/or CPU in varying degrees depending on resolution, visual quality/detail/filtering, the game, and monitor refresh rate, etc..

Certainly a faster processor like a 5800X would do even better with a better GPU than a 3060 but, not everyone has a 3080Ti or 3090, so, in that sense, nearly everyone is GPU-limited...; does that mean no one should upgrade processors save for those that have the very best GpUs? Of course not.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P_AGv-DJbU

Although the 2600X is not shown on the graph below, realize it won't be that...
So I currently am running a ryzen 5 2600, 6c/12t, with an rtx 3060, and am looking to upgrade my cpu to either a ryzen 7 5800x or a ryzen 9 5900x, and am aware of the enourmos gpu bottleneck running a ryzen 9 with a 3060, so am wondering, will that bottleneck get me worse frames than my current build for gaming purposes? Should I go with the ryzen 9 or the ryzen 7?
No, you will not lose performance. In fact, you'll probably gain better minimums and 0.1% frame times.

If gaming is all you do, then there's no real practical benefit getting a Ryzen 9.

The term 'bottlenecked' is often thrown about/misused so much as to lose any sense of meaning. Something is always limiting performance, be it GPU and/or CPU in varying degrees depending on resolution, visual quality/detail/filtering, the game, and monitor refresh rate, etc..

Certainly a faster processor like a 5800X would do even better with a better GPU than a 3060 but, not everyone has a 3080Ti or 3090, so, in that sense, nearly everyone is GPU-limited...; does that mean no one should upgrade processors save for those that have the very best GpUs? Of course not.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P_AGv-DJbU

Although the 2600X is not shown on the graph below, realize it won't be that much below the 2700X which is shown in one game, and, although it's FPS might be sometimes only half that of the 12900K, 180 fps compared to 360 fps is hardly a 'slideshow' either...(and that difference would only be seen with the very best GPUs!)

If you are 'not unhappy'(i.e., semi-content!) with FPS, I'd wait for the next gen of both GPUs and AM5 and Intel's Comet Lake to hit....

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A cpu is responsible for collecting all the data from the ram, doing any motion calculations, placing every object, assigning all variables and Ai and creating everything for a single frame the gpu will have to paint. The amount of times the cpu can do this per second is FPS.

So if the cpu can send 300fps to the gpu, but details and resolution bind the gpu to only painting 200fps on screen, then 200fps is what you'll get. Increasing cpu fps to 500fps will not change the fact that the gpu is bound to 200fps.

The only time a stronger cpu is of any realistic help is when the gpu is strong enough to take that 300fps and render all of them and have room for more.

So if you want to bandy the term 'bottleneck', first decide what IS the bottleneck. The 3060 is plenty strong enough for 1080p, even some 1440p, but at 4k it's on the short end of the stick. Then decide if the supporting hardware can use a stronger cpu. A 1080p/60Hz monitor is not going to cut it. 200 or 300 or 500fps is going to look all the same.