[SOLVED] Will I lose my USB files once I booted/install Win 10 from it?

erinmotionlesss

Commendable
Jan 6, 2019
Hi, I'm trying to 'reset/format' my computer, drives and reinstall Windows 10. This would be my first time doing so, I want to make sure I don't make a mistake that I'll regret later. I downloaded Media Creation Tool and installed it into my 64GB USB Drive, and I placed most of my backup files/pictures in that same USB drive as well. I read somewhere that when you boot/install Windows 10 from it, it'll also deletes everything on the USB drive, is this true?

Because if it is I'll just do the traditional "Reset this PC" to be safer.

Thank you!

Solution
If you have created windows installation media on your USB flash drive, then drive contents would look like this.
Using installation media to install windows does not modify it.

But if you run media creation tool again, then USB flash drive contents will get overwritten.

001.png
If you have created windows installation media on your USB flash drive, then drive contents would look like this.

But if you run media creation tool again, then USB flash drive contents will get overwritten.

001.png

Solution

erinmotionlesss

Commendable
Jan 6, 2019

001.png
Thank you! I was a minute too late as the Media Creation just finished and found my files in the drive removed. I can recover them easy.
So basically after the Media Creation's installation, I can put my files back in it and it won't get in the way of installing Windows 10 later on?