[SOLVED] Will I need to repurchase Windows?

advancedmixedgaming

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
I have a copy of Windows 10 Pro from an upgrade from a previous Windows 7. I just purchased a new motherboard and processor. I have the windows digital key linked to a Microsoft Account. Will I need to nuke a drive prior to installing the new board or anything, or should it be plug and play for the most part?

Solution
Yeah, you shouldn't need your product key since it's linked to your account. Mine was linked too, but I'm thinking I needed the product key anyway. That may be due to my clean install though.

Just check to see which version you have installed today before installing your new components. I didn't think to check it before I rebuilt, forgot what I had installed, and guessed (and guessed wrong). If you're doing a clean install, it doesn't hurt to install the wrong version. It's just time-consuming to wipe your drive and reinstall Windows if you get it wrong. Again, this would only be applicable if you decide to do a clean install on a new drive.

Before you do anything, be sure to download a fresh version of the Windows installer/repair...
Jul 16, 2019
I can't recall if installing a new MB and processor will cause an issue, but Windows may see the new hardware and think you are using a new PC.

When rebuilding my system, I used the opportunity to for a fresh install of Windows and I believe that is best practice. Plus, storage is super cheap right now, so I recommend buying a new drive and a doing a fresh install.

Some forums say you need to purchase a new copy of Windows. That's not true. Since you have Windows linked to your Microsoft Account, Windows can be reinstalled.

I learned (the hard way) that your version must match EXACTLY your currently installed version. I think I selected the Home version, but I actually had the Professional version so my new install wouldn't activate. I finally realized the issue and the only fix is another fresh install, so I got to install Windows twice! That was fun.

You will also use the Windows 7 product key even though you're installing Windows 10.

advancedmixedgaming

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
I can't recall if installing a new MB and processor will cause an issue, but Windows may see the new hardware and think you are using a new PC.

When rebuilding my system, I used the opportunity to for a fresh install of Windows and I believe that is best practice. Plus, storage is super cheap right now, so I recommend buying a new drive and a doing a fresh install.

Some forums say you need to purchase a new copy of Windows. That's not true. Since you have Windows linked to your Microsoft Account, Windows can be reinstalled.

I learned (the hard way) that your version must match EXACTLY your currently installed version. I think I selected the Home version, but I actually had the Professional version so my new install wouldn't activate. I finally realized the issue and the only fix is another fresh install, so I got to install Windows twice! That was fun.

You will also use the Windows 7 product key even though you're installing Windows 10.
Going off of what I read from the Windows Activation settings, it says that I won't input a product key, rather it's linked to my account. In the case that this is true, would my only worry be selecting Pro version for my Windows install? Also, I don't have the key anymore as this was probably about 5 years ago I purchased 7.

Jul 16, 2019
Yeah, you shouldn't need your product key since it's linked to your account. Mine was linked too, but I'm thinking I needed the product key anyway. That may be due to my clean install though.

Just check to see which version you have installed today before installing your new components. I didn't think to check it before I rebuilt, forgot what I had installed, and guessed (and guessed wrong). If you're doing a clean install, it doesn't hurt to install the wrong version. It's just time-consuming to wipe your drive and reinstall Windows if you get it wrong. Again, this would only be applicable if you decide to do a clean install on a new drive.

Before you do anything, be sure to download a fresh version of the Windows installer/repair software to a thumb drive. Having a downloaded version will save you time during install. DO NOT use an old version of the Windows installer/repair software as it won't have all updates, etc.

Solution