Will it be possible to overclock this RAM to its stated speed on this configuration?

lockstercarbz

Prominent
May 3, 2018
I’m going to be buying some Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz memory, and I’ve seen videos of people who have struggled to get it there.

Will this build be able to do that?

MSI X470 Gaming Plus Motherboard

Ryzen 5 2600 CPU

2TB Seagate BarraCuda

500GB Crucial MX500 SSD

Palit GameRock GTX 1070

Thermaltake Smart SE 730W Semi Modular 80+ Bronze Power Supply

Maybe I put more info than I needed to, but if you need any more info, just ask. Thanks a lot!

Solution
Ok, let me clarify as I have not apparently been specific enough. EVERY specific model number, NOT the series (Vengeance, Dominator, Etc.), needs or at least will have a much higher probability of being compatible when checked against, to be checked against the validations that have been accorded by those who've been verifying model numbers on Ryzen.

So just because one set of modules works with Ryzen does not mean that another pair of modules from the same series will. They might, but they also might not. As I said, compatibility is much broader now than it was in the first year or so, but it's still a good idea to 100% verify the exact model number you plan to use (And model numbers change when it's a single module vs a matched set...
Personally, I'd stick with the verified modules from the motherboard product page OR those listed here:

http://www.overclock.net/forum/18051-memory/1627555-ryzen-memory-ic-collection-thread.html

Of course, many of the videos and forum threads you read of people with problems are from back before most Ryzen issues were sorted out via later BIOS updates, so the first thing you'll want to do once you have the system up and running is make sure you have the latest bios installed. Aside from that, it's practically impossible to tell you what modules will or will not run on any given Ryzen board aside from those specifically listed on the motherboard product page as verified for that motherboard, but I'd fairly trust the verifications listed on the Overclock, Overclockers and Reddit threads dedicated to AM4 Ryzen compatibility.

I neglected to say that those modules MAY in fact be on the list, I didn't look to verify but you may wish to check them against the list. You might be perfectly fine with those modules. If they are not on any of the big lists of independently verified modules for Ryzen then I'd just avoid them. Mostly I've seen higher end Corsair like the Dominator series and the G.Skill Trident-Z and Flare series have the best overall compatibility and overclocking.

lockstercarbz

Prominent
May 3, 2018
Thanks!

Edit: Looking at the website, it seems I'm pretty good. Corsair is one MSI's partners and would have definitely had their RAM tested with this motherboard due to this statement being on the motherboard's specification.

Ok, let me clarify as I have not apparently been specific enough. EVERY specific model number, NOT the series (Vengeance, Dominator, Etc.), needs or at least will have a much higher probability of being compatible when checked against, to be checked against the validations that have been accorded by those who've been verifying model numbers on Ryzen.

So just because one set of modules works with Ryzen does not mean that another pair of modules from the same series will. They might, but they also might not. As I said, compatibility is much broader now than it was in the first year or so, but it's still a good idea to 100% verify the exact model number you plan to use (And model numbers change when it's a single module vs a matched set or quad set) for your specific motherboard or at least against Ryzen as a whole.

Otherwise you are taking the chance that you might get some oddball part number that for whatever reason doesn't seem to want to work with Ryzen configurations. Likely this will not be the case, but I'd make sure. And I can't overstate the fact that the majority of users who have reported in verifications with Ryzen platforms have tended to be using modules that incorporate Samsung B die modules or G.Skill Flare-X/Trident Z modules.

Certainly there are Corsair modules that will work fine, but it's a really good idea to verify that your specific intended part number has been successfully used by somebody else somewhere as well.

Solution