[SOLVED] will it hurt my gpu if i keep the GPU on 100% utilization 24/7 (RTX 2070 SUPER)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2021
will it hurt my gpu if i keep the GPU on 100% utilization 24/7 i use rtx 2070 super to mine btc and im on 100% utilization so will it hurt my gpu?
also my gpu temp is 56 always

thank you for your answer

Solution
100% 24/7 usage under minimum temperature and power specs likely won't destroy the GPU anytime soon and you could likely run it for at least 2 years with constant use in that condition and have no issues. That doesn't mean it won't wear out components over time or get damaged from some faulty component on the card itself or in the system or that it won't be damaged from ambient environmental conditions. Dry air could be just as bad as high humidity if you don't have the system properly grounded or if you don't do proper maintenance over time.
Everything that you use 24/7 will not last as long as using it for a few hours every day. Right?

It's not like your GPU has feelings. You're not hurting your GPU. You're just using it more and it will obviously die sooner than a GPU that is used 4 hours a day or 10 hours a day and not at 100% usage.

Reactions: Krotow
Jan 13, 2021
Everything that you use 24/7 will not last as long as using it for a few hours every day. Right?

It's not like your GPU has feelings. You're not hurting your GPU. You're just using it more and it will obviously die sooner than a GPU that is used 4 hours a day or 10 hours a day and not at 100% usage.
are you sure about that because i posted the same post on reddit and got some different answers for example:

If you can keep it's degrees low, then yes.
If it becomes a frying pan, then no

Not disproportionately so, no. In fact, it's better for the GPU to run with a constant high, but cool enough, load than it is for it to go thru many thermal cycles of idle to high load and back. Think all-highway driving vs stop and go traffic in a car.

Ulitization doesn’t mean anything, it’s the high temperatures that’s re dangerous for it.

thats the comment i got so i dont know who to trust because some people say that it will affect the gpu life and some not. actually more people say it will not

are you sure about that because i posted the same post on reddit and got some different answers for example:

If you can keep it's degrees low, then yes.
If it becomes a frying pan, then no

Not disproportionately so, no. In fact, it's better for the GPU to run with a constant high, but cool enough, load than it is for it to go thru many thermal cycles of idle to high load and back. Think all-highway driving vs stop and go traffic in a car.

Ulitization doesn’t mean anything, it’s the high temperatures that’s re dangerous for it.

thats the comment i got so i dont know who to trust because some people say that it will affect the gpu life and some not. actually more people say it will not
Mining rigs utilise the GPU at 100% 24/7 so I am guessing yours is a mining rig. Firstly, yes it will eventually die quicker, everything always dies at 100%. Imagine yourself, forced to work out. You are working out 24/7, your body hurts. However you can't stop, you still have to work out. You would eventually die I guess, so its the same. I recon if you got the temperature lower it would expand the lifespan of the GPU but it would meet the same fate.

100% 24/7 usage under minimum temperature and power specs likely won't destroy the GPU anytime soon and you could likely run it for at least 2 years with constant use in that condition and have no issues. That doesn't mean it won't wear out components over time or get damaged from some faulty component on the card itself or in the system or that it won't be damaged from ambient environmental conditions. Dry air could be just as bad as high humidity if you don't have the system properly grounded or if you don't do proper maintenance over time.

Solution

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
Just because you use an item within it’s recommended operated parameters doesn’t mean it wont wear out
For sure it will experience wear out Failures faster than a card that has less usage
“Google what is called in reliability engineering as the bathtub curve “

I would focus on using a very high quality PSU and having very good case ventilation as there is certain components on the GPU that rely on passive cooling and the dont have a temp sensor on them

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS