[SOLVED] Will my Ryzen 5 3600 degrade if it runs continuously at 90°C ?

Ashvin Srinivasan

Reputable
Nov 1, 2020
My Ryzen 5 3600 runs at 4.2 GHz at 1.208v. I use the stock cooler, stock thermal paste and one case fan ( average airflow with good ventilation ).
It idles at 63°C. I live in india, room temp here is 45°C.
When running at full loads temp goes up to 94°C. When performing stress test ~65 TDP, temp went to 102°C. Yes 102 degrees.
I triple checked the temps using HW monitor, cpu z, and gigabyte software, each running at three different tests.
Isn't the CPU supposed to throttle / Shut down at such high temperatures?

My question is for an average user will the CPU degrade? I expect to use it for only 3 years.

Solution
That particular case appears to have very restricted front airflow, which is not going to be beneficial to your temperatures.
Yes, BUT....
You're looking for area of airflow opening compared to CFM of the fans that are trying to suck/blow air through said opening. Of course, that requisite opening depends (slightly) on the static pressure capability of the fan(s), but you get the point. IIRC, I had figured at one point that a (~92mm-140mm) case fan needs roughly it's perimeter x 1.5cm-2cm worth of vent area to perform to it's fullest.

More than likely only the bottom of the front panel is open for airflow to enter the front fan area. While nobody would ever dispute that's restrictive, that area of opening may still be...
For 3 years, nothing to worry about. The CPU should temp throttle as needed to protect against damage.

You're going to be missing performance as the temp throttling kicks in.

If you can't afford a better cooler, you may want to play around with:
  • Really should have at LEAST 1 intake fan, and 1 exhaust fan (more depending on what GPU)
  • Undervolt the CPU to reduce power/heat. This should also allow the CPU to hit/maintain higher frequency.

Ashvin Srinivasan

Reputable
Nov 1, 2020
For 3 years, nothing to worry about. The CPU should temp throttle as needed to protect against damage.

You're going to be missing performance as the temp throttling kicks in.

If you can't afford a better cooler, you may want to play around with:
  • Really should have at LEAST 1 intake fan, and 1 exhaust fan (more depending on what GPU)
  • Undervolt the CPU to reduce power/heat. This should also allow the CPU to hit/maintain higher frequency.
My fan is configured as an exaust. Should i change it to intake? My GPU is a twin fan Zotac 1650 Super.
This is the lowest stable Undervolt for this frequency.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
It idles at 63°C. I live in india, room temp here is 45°C.
When running at full loads temp goes up to 94°C. When performing stress test ~65 TDP, temp went to 102°C. Yes 102 degrees.

3 years.

First off, I would suggest that is astounding performance to be less than 20C over ambient, on the stock cooler, one case fan, AND an overclock.
I would be willing to bet that you are experiencing throttling when you get up near that hot. I am also surprised that you aren't getting shutdown. Neither of the two desktop Ryzen I use would come close to that before crashing.

My short term concern would be the motherboard itself. I feel like it would be a good idea to return this to stock clocks and/or consider an aftermarket cooler and as above another case fan. I would not expect miracles in that manner of ambient.

For the time being, what is preferred - case fan as intake as exuast?
Intake at front, exhaust at rear.

4.png

1 intake (Front)
1 exhaust (back)

The fans will have 2 arrows on the outside their frame. 1 indicates the direction of rotation, the other indicates the direction of airflow. Also, the "downwind" side is the side with the support rods that support the fan hub, the power cable comes in on this side, and there will be circular sticker with the fan info also.
images

^ The air is blowing at you if you're seeing this side of the fan.

I know in a case like the NZXT H510 with limited front airflow, the fans are put as exhaust at the rear and top. This appears to be the best config for cases without much front airflow.

Although, you could do some experimenting to see what delivers lowest temperatures in your particular case (pun intended)

That particular case appears to have very restricted front airflow, which is not going to be beneficial to your temperatures.
Yes, BUT....
You're looking for area of airflow opening compared to CFM of the fans that are trying to suck/blow air through said opening. Of course, that requisite opening depends (slightly) on the static pressure capability of the fan(s), but you get the point. IIRC, I had figured at one point that a (~92mm-140mm) case fan needs roughly it's perimeter x 1.5cm-2cm worth of vent area to perform to it's fullest.

More than likely only the bottom of the front panel is open for airflow to enter the front fan area. While nobody would ever dispute that's restrictive, that area of opening may still be sufficient for a single front intake.
The more front intake fans you add, however, the less effective they will be because they won't be able to create enough pressure to overcome the airflow restriction.

My Silverstone PS07 has two 2.5cm x 25cm air vents for the front intake fans (and the vents are very open since there's a dust filter over the fans themselves). The area in front of the 2 front fans has a door, so that the fan filter can be accessed. Even with my 2 relativey slow-spinning 1200-1400rpm front 120mm intake fans, I can achieve a significant GPU&CPU temp/noise reduction by simply cracking open the front case door a couple cm (which effectively adds another 50% airflow area). I guess that roughly jives with my above statement:
  • 12cm x 4 sides x 2cm x 2 fans = 192 cm2 required
  • With door closed: 2.5cm x 25cm x 2EA = 125 cm2
  • With door slightly open: 125cm2 + 2cm x 25cm = 175cm2

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashvin Srinivasan
Solution

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
Hello Ashvin, I live in India too,
My case is chiltronex gx2000, it have three front intakes, and one rear exhaust. All those came with the cabinet, my cpu cooler is Antec A400 tower cooler.
My temps: idle 43 - 55 depending on the temperature and load 75max
I too have a r5 3600 and asus tuf 1650 super.
Now to the point for our high ambient temperature, how much ever fans you may have, you need a proper cpu cooler, the stock cooler will never work for us,
Now the gamaxxx cooler you have ordered will work good and will be like my cooler, but if you wanna overclock in future or stable performance for our temperature without shutting down, you need a good liquid cooler.

Reactions: Ashvin Srinivasan