breaker9320

Honorable
Apr 9, 2016
Good morning,

A friend just got himself all the required components to build a system for himself but never done it before and asked me to help.
He's just sent me the components list he got and I am unsure if the system will work out the box.

He's got an ASUS Prime X570-P motherboard and a Ryzen 7 5700X processor. The motherboard is advertised as able to run the 4th gen Ryzen CPUs but I went looking on Asus's website for the supported proccesor list and the bios version needed for this particular processor is 4021.
I have asked him to check the sticker on the motherboard so we can find out what bios version the board has got and it comes with version 4005 preloaded.

I am unsure if this will work out the box or not as the motherboard is not capable of bios flashback.
However on the same website and list ( https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-X570-P/HelpDesk_CPU/ ) the Ryzen 7 5800X requires BIOS version 2606, which makes me wonder why, and also if that means that his 5700X will work straight out the box seeing how its a lesser processor than the 5800X
Thank you.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If motherboard is really old stock then yeah bios update would be required. I doubt motherboard he got is old stock. Should be good to go. Worst case it doesn't then visit a pc shop to flash it with an older gen cpu or do it yourself with Amd's loan program but pc shop would be quicker. Im sure it'll be fine though, discussions in ambassador forum with few mods involved talked about this and those building several Ryzen builds with 5xxx processors on 5xx boards didn't need to update.

Good morning,

A friend just got himself all the required components to build a system for himself but never done it before and asked me to help.
He's just sent me the components list he got and I am unsure if the system will work out the box.

He's got an ASUS Prime X570-P motherboard and a Ryzen 7 5700X processor. The motherboard is advertised as able to run the 4th gen Ryzen CPUs but I went looking on Asus's website for the supported proccesor list and the bios version needed for this particular processor is 4021.
I have asked him to check the sticker on the motherboard so we can find out what bios version the board has got and it comes with version 4005 preloaded.

I am unsure if this will work out the box or not as the motherboard is not capable of bios flashback.
However on the same website and list ( https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-X570-P/HelpDesk_CPU/ ) the Ryzen 7 5800X requires BIOS version 2606, which makes me wonder why, and also if that means that his 5700X will work straight out the box seeing how its a lesser processor than the 5800X
Thank you.
It doesn't matter which CPU as long as it's Zen3, 5000 series. 5800x is practically same as 5800x but binned higher and so allowed to use more energy and work somewhat faster because of that,
As for BIOS version it mostly depends when MB was made, if within a year or so chances are very good it will come with at least appropriate BIOS version which you can and should update later on. If you can get serial number you could ask AMD.