Will the GTX 760 hold up?

Moees36

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
Hey guys, I'm working on my first build with the CPU as the i7-4790k and for the GPU a GTX 760. I want to know if the 760 will be able to hold up in all the new titles coming out like unity, evolve, etc. my friend said that I will be playing every game on low because his 780 to can't even get 60 FPS constant in unity on ultra settings. I don't mind turning the settings down to high just as long as I get a decent playable frame rate. Do you think the 760 will hold up? In addition I'm getting a 750w PSU so I can SLI that 760 in the future when I get the money.

Solution
Well unless you have already bought the CPU drop the 4790k and go for a i5-4690k. No difference in performance in games. That is unless you're gonna be doing something other than gaming thats CPU demanding. And then you'll be able to put the money save into the GPU.

Now onto the main question. The 760 will hold up & can still max out most games out. It probably wont be maxing out games released from here on out but nothing wrong with High. But if possible I would recommend going for a 280x. More VRAM that will be needed down the road and OC pushes it ahead of the 760. You'd still be able to crossfire them with the PSU.

Your friend cant run unity on Ultra 60+ fps because Unity's port (excuse the language but theres no better way to put...

xTempered

Reputable
May 2, 2014
Well unless you have already bought the CPU drop the 4790k and go for a i5-4690k. No difference in performance in games. That is unless you're gonna be doing something other than gaming thats CPU demanding. And then you'll be able to put the money save into the GPU.

Now onto the main question. The 760 will hold up & can still max out most games out. It probably wont be maxing out games released from here on out but nothing wrong with High. But if possible I would recommend going for a 280x. More VRAM that will be needed down the road and OC pushes it ahead of the 760. You'd still be able to crossfire them with the PSU.

Your friend cant run unity on Ultra 60+ fps because Unity's port (excuse the language but theres no better way to put it) sucked major ass (imo you shouldnt get the game when you finish your PC its bad. many problems fixed but still bad. If you still want it I would suggest getting it through a "not so legal way.") People running SLI 980s could barely run it steady maxed out & would still get the occasional dips.

Solution
I run all my games on ultra average 45-60FPS with my 760. Newer games will be forced down to high-medium in the near future, but it holds up. Out of current games only planetside 2 runs at medium quality, due simply to my processor.

I would recommend something like the 970 if you can afford it (Drop to a 4690k for example) and it will hold you over much longer.

Kohwali

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
There actually is a difference between the i7-4790K and i5-4690K, but the difference isn't large enough to justify the +$100 price tag in games. The i7-4790K has superior single core and multi core so it would do a bit better. But just a little bit.

IMO a GTX 760 isn't really a good pair with an i7-4790K unless you're primarily video editing or something along the lines of that with moderate gaming.

+1 for the 750W PSU (which one are you looking at?), but I don't think SLI is really worth it until you get past mid-tier GPUs. Your next upgrade should be a GTX 970 and then looking to SLI that. Make sure your motherboard supports it first!