[SOLVED] Will the new RTX 30 cards work with my computer?

Aug 11, 2020
With the new RTX 30 cards coming out, I've become extremely interested in buying a 3080 or 3070 due to the fact that I've been using a GTX 1060 for a while now. I've tried to do a bit of research myself, including requirements and measurements.
I have a few concerns that I would like help with:
  • With the 3070 and 3080, I'm kind of afraid they won't fit only due to the ports that connect my hard drives to the mother board. They might just be small enough that the graphics cards will rest right above it, but I'm not too entirely sure. Other than that small port, both cards should fit perfectly (Dimension-wise, anyways)
  • The 3080 says is requires a 750W PSU, but I only have a 700W, Will that be okay? Or if I decide to go with the 3080, will I have to get a new Power Supply?

Link:
Motherboard - ASRock B450M PRO4 AM4 AMD
I'll be happy to provide any other info if needed!

Solution
1. Your SATA ports exist to the right of the motherboard. No GPU is going to interfere there.

2. Wait for independent reviews for true power draw. Nobody can say with certainty at this point. Based on info available, the 3080 has a TDP of ~320W, so theoretically it'll be ok if paired with a Ryzen 5, or even a Ryzen 7, but nobody knows for sure.

The quality of your PSU is going to matter here though, not just the wattage listed.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
1. Your SATA ports exist to the right of the motherboard. No GPU is going to interfere there.

2. Wait for independent reviews for true power draw. Nobody can say with certainty at this point. Based on info available, the 3080 has a TDP of ~320W, so theoretically it'll be ok if paired with a Ryzen 5, or even a Ryzen 7, but nobody knows for sure.

The quality of your PSU is going to matter here though, not just the wattage listed.

Solution