Question Will this Printer Work under Windows 11?

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
Hi,

Its this printer:

Its a Printer and Scanner combined. Will both functions work in Win 11? I ask because there's no Win 11 drivers for this printer however there's Win 10 64-bit drivers available for it.

What do I do or do I have to buy a new printer compatible with Win 11?

Cheers,

I REALLY doubt it. The last Windows 10 drivers available for that printer were released in 2015 and we know WELL that many of the major spring and fall updates to Windows 10 over the last 8 years or so have constantly broken HP, Canon, Samsung and others printer functions until newer drivers were released. Since there have been no newer drivers for that printer officially released since 2015 it's doubtful it will even work with any newer or current version of Windows 10, much less Windows 11.

And I looked on the UK, US and Global Canon websites, and none of them offer any Windows 11 drivers and no Windows 10 drivers newer than 2015. All you can do is TRY it, but don't expect any official help if you're not able to make it work and don't be surprised if you're not able TO make it work, because I am betting there will be driver issues.

Drivers for Windows 10 generally work for Windows 11, unless they're blacklisted for some security vulnerability.

Basically this is a "try it and see" kind of thing. One of the following will happen:
  • The installer complains you don't have the right OS (unlikely)
  • Windows blocks it from installing due to said blacklist (you can disable this if you want)
  • The driver installs and everything is fine
  • The driver installs, but nothing works

ubuysa

Distinguished
The printer function will almost certainly work, though you might not have access to things like 'print head cleaning' and the like. The scanner component may well not work though. There is a great (paid for) tool called VueScan that does support older scanners on Windows 10/11 - I've used it and it did work well for me. I can't promise it will drive your scanner in Windows 11 but I'm pretty sure it will.

Ralston18

Titan
Yes.

Wired or wireless (network or bluetooth) are communication paths over which the printing and scanning instructions to the printer/scanner would travel back and forth.

If the printing and scanning instructions are not understood by the printer/scanner it does not matter how the instructions were delivered.

For example: if someone calls you and speaks to you using a language that you do not know then the message will not be understandable.

Likewise even if the transmission media/method changes be it wired, wireless, smoke signals, drums, flags, etc. the message will not be understandable.

Okay the printer supports wi-fi, what if I connect it wirelessly instead of via usb. Will I still face those possible issues above?
Yes. It doesn't have any relevance whether it's USB, WiFi or LAN connection. If Windows doesn't know how to communicate with the printer, and visa versa, then the method of communication is irrelevant. And if there isn't a compatible driver available, then it doesn't know how to communicate with it. Again, it's POSSIBLE that the older Windows 10 driver might work, but given the number of printer models that stopped working when newer Windows 10 versions were released, until newer drivers FOR those newer Windows 10 versions were released, that suddenly wouldn't work, it makes it lean far in favor of there being potential problems.

All you can do it try it. And if you don't already own this printer then there is no point in getting it. Get one that you KNOW will work with the OS you are going to be running. If you DO already have the printer, then all you can do is TRY it. Nobody can tell you it is or is not going to work UNLESS they also have this printer and a newer OS and it's unlikely because most people simply don't keep their printers around that long unless they are very high end models or laser printers.

Man, if that's what you took from this entire, admittedly useless, conversation, then shame on us for having it in the first place.

In the second place, I'm pretty sure nobody here said anything about needing to buy a new printer. That is a 100% fiscal question which is distinctly different from a "will this work with this" technical question. Probably end up in the same place anyhow, but you know, maybe make sure you need to go downtown before you make the trip.

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
Man, if that's what you took from this entire, admittedly useless, conversation, then shame on us for having it in the first place.

In the second place, I'm pretty sure nobody here said anything about needing to buy a new printer. That is a 100% fiscal question which is distinctly different from a "will this work with this" technical question. Probably end up in the same place anyhow, but you know, maybe make sure you need to go downtown before you make the trip.

I can try my old multifunction printer and it could work you never know however I want to make sure for certain will all functions of my old printer and its software/utilities/features will work not limited under the new windows os you know what I mean or will there be intermittent driver conflicts error messages hence why I said to be on the safe side to buy a new printer to save you guys dealing with me again coming back to these forums with more possible issues unless someone here has the same old printer as me under windows 11 and can report back on this page its all good no probs.