Build Advice Will this PSU work with my intended configuration? Help pls!

JitD

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
So, long story short,wanted to upgrade to Ryzen from my basic Intel build. Got the PSU first as it was being given under some discount. My old one was 450W, and the new one is 650W. I'm posting the link of the PSU here, hope you guys can access it:-
Antec VP650 P Plus 650 Watt 80 Plus Power Supply with 85% Efficiency https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07WSHNG28/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_zMj4Db02WBPNF

I am willing to go with Ryzen 2600x , and an MSI X470/X 570Motherboard. Hence I went to pcpartpicker.com and tested my intended combination: MSI x470 Gaming Pro motherboard ( https://www.amazon.in/MSI-X470-PRO-...r_1_1?keywords=MSI+x470&qid=1575005867&sr=8-1 )/ MSI X570 A- Pro Gaming Motherboard ( https://www.amazon.in/MSI-Component...r_1_5?keywords=MSI+x570&qid=1575006002&sr=8-5 ) along with Ryzen 5 2600X and GTX 1660Ti along with the PSU I already have (Antec CP650P Plus). In case of both of the Motherboards, it showed me as a Note the following : - "The MSI X470 GAMING PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Antec VP PLUS 650 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it."

Hence, my question is does it mean that the PSU I already have, won't go hand in hand with the Mobo I intend to build on? I have checked combinations with B450 Motherboards also, and in that case there was no such Note/Warning like this one. I cannot return back the PSU at this point and on the other hand, I would very much like to go ahead with at least a X470 build. Please, advise me on what should I do- should I go ahead with the X470/X570 plan or stick with the B450 Platform?

Also, i would like to thank in advance for all the kind souls who has read so far :) This is my first post here and I do not post so much on the Internet Forums so please excuse me for any kind of wrong formatting/mistakes !

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Hence, my question is does it mean that the PSU I already have, won't go hand in hand with the Mobo I intend to build on?
PCPP has stated it pretty much spot on, in effect, the motherboard has additional CPUATX power that is typically used for overclocking, and usually the system will run perferectly fine without populating the additional pins. However it's not guaranteed. Usually it's fine, but it might not be.

All in all, there should be no issue running on a B450 board anyway. Especially from a value for money perspective, many would typically recommend a B450 Tomahawk or similar for example to run even 3rd Gen Ryzen. Why exactly do you want X470 over B450? Unless you desparetely need PCIe Gen 4 (which 99.99% of people don't then X570 is not necessary).

All in all, it's not a great quality PSU in the grand scheme of things, so you could always upgrade it anyway.

Reactions: JitD

JitD

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

PCPP has stated it pretty much spot on, in effect, the motherboard has additional CPUATX power that is typically used for overclocking, and usually the system will run perferectly fine without populating the additional pins. However it's not guaranteed. Usually it's fine, but it might not be.

All in all, there should be no issue running on a B450 board anyway. Especially from a value for money perspective, many would typically recommend a B450 Tomahawk or similar for example to run even 3rd Gen Ryzen. Why exactly do you want X470 over B450? Unless you desparetely need PCIe Gen 4 (which 99.99% of people don't then X570 is not necessary).

All in all, it's not a great quality PSU in the grand scheme of things, so you could always upgrade it anyway.

First of all thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question!!! Now, in my country, India, the price difference between the MSI X470 and a Tomahawk B 450 is roughly around INR 5,000/- ( roughly 70 $) which I just might spend as I got some Tax rebates in my job recently. Also, the price of the X470 came down just 2 days before, that's what attracted me towards the 470 model ! Also, I can't change my PC too frequently, that is, I have to continue with this build for at least 4-5 years from now on. These were the reason I was thinking about going with the 470 model.... I'm not much into overclocking ( which I cannot do at all with my present Intel set up and hence have no inclination to). My present build is like this: -

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400
GPU: Nvidia GTX 960
SSD: WDC WDS500G2B0A 500GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2016)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 C15 1x8GB
MBD: Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H
A local brand 450W PSU

You can see that it's pretty much a lower end build. Now, financially I cannot upgrade my PC at once, hence I have to procure the parts as and when they are on discount here :( I have played games like Withcer 3, GTA 5, Tomb Raider & ROTTR, Deus Ex:Mankind Divided etc on Mid to High level graphics on this set up. The only games which gave me problem were Just Cause 3 and Metro:Exodus ( the latter having around 10-15 FPS and thus unplayable). So, I'm accustomed with Mid to High graphics gameplay. and won't be in need on Overclocking. I'm looking forward to games like RDR 2 and Cyberpunk 2077 and I highly doubt I would be able to play them decently on my present build.
I already had made up my mind on the B450 Model (Primarily the Tomahawk as you have suggested already)....It's just that the price of the X470 coming down, that interested me on the newer Mobo model :)