Votes: 47 54.0%
  • No

Votes: 40 46.0%

• Total voters

samael

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
Kind of a redundant question :D
Of course you will buy them if they are good ... and if not, then you probably won't buy them, but anyway I am just curios about your opinions and expectations now that were on the brink of release and benchmarks...

I know we don't have the full picture about these cards yet, all we know is some of their specs and some very questionable benchmarks (at whom I don't pay very much attention until they can be verified from other sources)...

Anyway I think whey will be good products and I look forward to the real benchmarks!!!

Let me just mention that the poll must be considered under the supposition that ATI cards will have at least a decent price/performance, we will do that because I think everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt ... at least until proven otherwise …

Even if they turn out to be awesome I am just looking forward to the price drops on the 8800's.

So far i am not very convinced that they will be very good. The suck to much power and don't produce enough results from what I have seen. If they are producing the results I am seeing they better the keep them off the market and fix them.

So NO, i will not be buying one, even though I am an ATI fan.

logical2u

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
If they can get a competitor for the 8800GTS320MB, that's about the same price as the 8800 320, and with all the bells at whistles they're pushing right now for the XT (IE: Sound, physics, DX10, apparent 8800GTS crushing power...)... chances are I will get one.

An R600 XL looks like the best bet for something like that right now, or maybe a Pro version (if either come out soon.)

I used Nvidia once and I don't really think that now, after three years of ATI, I will be going back quietly.

The 2-Power Supply thing is a pain, though, and I'm really ticked off with both Nvidia AND AMD right now... My x1650pro plays BF2 just fine right now, thanks, I'm worried mainly about DX10...

dsidious

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
Make it a poll question...

I think it all depends on the price/performance ratio in the various market segments. Let's say a student has $300 to spend, he won't give a rat's *** that the 8800 GTX ($500+) is faster than any ATI card. He will choose between the $300 offerings from ATI and nVidia and pick the best one, which might very well be from ATI. If ATI can produce the HD2900XT for less than it costs nVidia to produce an 8800 GTS 320 MB then ATI will make good sales and profits.

Of course, for the 2% of PC owners who actually care, a top card is very important and they'll stick with the 8800 GTX as long as ATI's cards can't beat it. Unpleasant, but not important for ATI.

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
That question can't be answered right now. Nobody will blindly buy a component without first evaluating price and performance

korbin44

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
I will not buy an R600 card. I'm an enthusiast, and my next cards are going to be nvidia G80's, most likely the GTX's, unless the Ultra's offer more performance, regardless of price. For me, it's about performance, and right now, AMD can't touch nvidia.

sabenfox

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I'm pretty sure i read the R600 will have better technical specs then the 8800GTS, if it does i'll probably get the R600 (XT version), unless the price is ridiculous

(this is of course after solid benchmarks..)

samael

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
Let me just mention that the poll must be considered under the supposition that ATI cards will have at least a decent price/performance, we will do that because I think everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt ... at least until proven otherwise …

Peffse

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2007
No.

I'm pretty happy with the performance my 9800 pro gave me, but the R600 just doesn't seem yet to give the same bang for the $. I'm going to hold out a little longer... I'll probably end up with a 8800GTS or wait until the refresh... either way, I'm going to wait until prices come way down.

Farhang

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
Off course not!
8800GTS is more than enough to make me happy.
even X1900/7900 Seriess owner don't need to upgrade their Graphics cards to some ATI's Next Generation HD X2K Fully DX10 Support Blah Blah Blah... Card. :mrgreen: :tongue:
my next upgrade would be a Dual/Quad Core CPU/Mobo/Memory.(Next year or maybe Summer), But for now i`m saving money to get an Opteron 165 or 170.(not much of an upgrade over a FX57 :? , is it?)

ninjaspa

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
seems like more people are now comparing it to the 320mb gts, not the 640, which last i checked [unless i was mistaken or the preliminary benches were BS], the xt was beating the 640 though not by much...

in any case, when ati officially announced a few days ago that the xt was not intended to compete with the gtx, but the gts, i assumed they were talking about the 640mb version.

so, with that in mind, as long as the pricing is competitive, i'd rather get a xt over the gts640mb. still, according to the unimpressive numbers dailytech managed to puke up most recently, i'd rather have a gtx than anything, but i aint about to spend 500. 400 is my price range cap.

i think i see it so far as gtx>xt>gts640>320
tho as far as my price range goes as of yet, xt looks to be the top pick.

...but still... that gtx is sick... idk

more than just thorough benches for the r600, i'd like to see some real dx10 testing between nvidia and ati. that's what is really most important after all...

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
I will not buy an R600 card. I'm an enthusiast, and my next cards are going to be nvidia G80's, most likely the GTX's, unless the Ultra's offer more performance, regardless of price. For me, it's about performance, and right now, AMD can't touch nvidia.
The 8800Ultra is supposed to be priced at $1000 and have a 75MHz clock speed advantage. :?

I won't be upgrading as I already have an 8800GTX.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
Probably depending on the performance and price. I have 7900 GT 256mb and im very happy with it. Two of may past graphic cards have been from nVidia and no problem at all. But on the other hand, ive had ATi 9800 PRO and I loved it.

So for me it really depends and i need to see some benchmarks.

In response to some who mentioned about the models of the ATi vs nVidia, i think they may go like this:

Geforce 8800 GTS 320 vs ATi R600 PRO (or XT 256)
8800 GTS 640 vs ATi R600 XT 512

deathbybubba

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
I am with ninjaspa on this one. Yeah, the GTX is the king and it won't be trumped by the xt or even the xtx, but I have a cap on what I'm going to spend. 400-500 is what I'm willing to spend on a gfx card Since that puts me into the xt or gts640 I'm going to go with the xt. First it does seem to do better even with less memory and second DAAMIT's drivers have been better then nVidias as of late.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
I won't be upgrading as I already have an 8800GTX.
633/2.03
Damn Nice OverClocking Man! :twisted:
you already have the 8800Ultra! :twisted: 8)A lot of people have gotten higher overclocks than this; I probably could go a bit higher with better cooling, but I'm running still running stock.

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I'll let you know when we know about performances (especially for DX10 games, they'll run any DX9 games fine for sure), price and overheating problem (or if they exist). Before I see review from independant site, I won't decide. Neither will I get one before DX10 games start being available.

Last Dx9 first generation VPU I got (Radeon 9800Pro) was just "too slow" to run first true Dx9 games (Oblivion) with eye-candy enable to really make it look good. I don't want to repeat that with my next VPU for sure, neither do I want to have to upgrade within 12 months of my purchase.

So, put me in no, unless I need it to run upcoming Crysis.