[SOLVED] Win 10 Clean Install: Cannot run Media Creation tool

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Miserable day it's been. I'd been hoping to do a clean in stall of Windows 10 today, but no such luck. I'm using the Tom's HW Clean install guide, but cannot get the media creation tool to work.

I'm repeatedly getting this error:

There was a problem running this tool
We're not sure what happened, but we're unable to run this tool on your PC. If you continue experiencing problems,
reference the error code when contacting customer support. Error code: 0x80070424 - 0x90018

I spent hours Googling this and trying all sorts of fixes, mostly involving ensuring that several specific services were set to automatic (they were).
I tried two different blank 30 GB FAT-formatted thumb drives that I know work, tried several different onboard USB ports, but no luck.

I looked at other options to create a bootable USB from an ISO file, but all roads seem to lead to the same process: going through the media creation tool (MediaCreationTool1909). Is there a way to directly download an ISO, save to USB and install from there?

I'm so disgusted that I'm thisclose to paying $150 and just getting the DVD.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Solution
As a workaround, if you have a valid retail installation DVD, is that tied to the serial number that comes with it?

I plan to upgrade my wife's desktop from Win 7 Home to Win 10 Pro next month, and planned on paying for it.

Can I use a retail DVD and enter my current Win 7 Pro license key instead of the one on the package?
There is no relationship between the retail DVD and the product key (other than the types should match, of course).

Just yesterday, I used the last of my Win 7 Pro keys (OEM version purchased several years ago) on a clean install of Win 10 Pro. Worked like a charm and fully activated.

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Well, sure.
But why the MCT cannot be used is a different thing. And a very weird thing.

Any fully running Win 10 OS should be able to use that, and create a valid Win 10 USB to install from.
I'm running Windows 7, not 10.

I spent over four hours Googling this and trying anything that was suggested and nothing worked. I just want to wipe that drive with a clean install and move on.

I'm off for President's Day tomorrow; that's why I planned this for this weekend. This is the machine I use for both business and personal. I've got to be up and running tomorrow and back in business on Tuesday...

Thanks for all your help.

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
I spent all day trying to get it to work. I'll need a retail disc and paid license anyway for my wife, so this seems to be the fastest solution.

Thanks for all your sage advice--it's been very helpful.

I noticed you said you formatted your USB with FAT; do you really mean FAT32? I would try NTFS. The reality is the MCT will reformat the USB anyway, but there may be some conflict with FAT. Also make sure you are using a USB 2.0 port, and make sure you Windows date and time is correct. BTW, there is no need to buy a Windows 10 install media with a product key. All that is needed is the install media which is much more inexpensive. eg https://www.ebay.com/itm/Windows-10...074224?hash=item262cc82ff0:g:v~sAAOSwADVd21CR

Reactions: dg27

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Yes, I meant FAT32 and it's USB 2.0. I'll check the Windows time/date.

I'm also wondering the Windows Update setting need to be set to automatic. None of my machines are set to automatiic, always notify and let me choose to download.

Regarding the product key, I will need to buy one, so I can upgrade my wife from Home to Pro.

Thanks.

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
When I said USB 2.0, I meant the ports of your PC. Most have both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports (the 3.0 ports are blue). Make sure you are using a 2.0 port. Yes, you will then need another COA.

Yes--I was using USB 2.0 ports, which are all that are native on my motherboard.

I put this install on hold at least till the weekend; need to sort out which disk I will buy. Concerned whether retail OEM has a key I use for my wife's machine, but that I can use for other machines with their own unique keys (like mine). MS has made this very confusing.

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Well after struggling to use the MCT on my desktop and getting nowhere, I decided to try it on my wife's desktop and it worked!

Would just like to confirm that the total size should be 4 GB (I thought it would be closer to 8). The USB was renamed "ESD-USB." Does this sound right?

USAFRet

Titan
Well after struggling to use the MCT on my desktop and getting nowhere, I decided to try it on my wife's desktop and it worked!

Would just like to confirm that the total size should be 4 GB (I thought it would be closer to 8). The USB was renamed "ESD-USB." Does this sound right?
Yes, that sounds just right.

MS recommends an 8GB USB, because some "4GB" USB's will struggle at that last little bit.

Reactions: dg27

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Thanks for confirming. On Saturday I'll [hopefully] get Pro installed on my machine.

I've noticed symptoms of my current Win 7 Pro install misbehaving (which may have been related to being unable to run the MCT).

TRENDING THREADS