Question Win 7 Hardware upgrade

brucepascal

Reputable
Feb 15, 2020
I am using Win 7 on my Desktop, with a old MoBo with an 1150 and an i7 4770.

I will stay with Win7 and I only want to upgrade. It seems highest i5 will be 9xxx on a z370?

Before I buy this, I want to make certain, that this hardware will work for win 7, or will there be f.e. driver trouble?
(I know, that I will need a stronger PSU)

Thank you

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I am using Win 7 on my Desktop, with a old MoBo with an 1150 and an i7 4770.

I will stay with Win7 and I only want to upgrade. It seems highest i5 will be 9xxx on a z370?

Before I buy this, I want to make certain, that this hardware will work for win 7, or will there be f.e. driver trouble?
(I know, that I will need a stronger PSU)

Thank you
That might not work, you need to go to the motherboard page and make sure you can get W7 drivers.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
That might not work, you need to go to the motherboard page and make sure you can get W7 drivers.
EXACTLY this.

you can make win 7 install on pretty much any new hardware, but drivers are a major issue with the newest stuff.

you have to check the motherboard and other hardware pages to see if drivers are available. if not, then you need to pick different hardware.

for instance AMD b450/x470 have win 7 drivers but b550/x570 normally do not. so you can go top end AM4 cpu but have to stay with the 400 series chipset. intel chipsets are the same way. you have to look into what is available BEFORE buying anything

brucepascal

Reputable
Feb 15, 2020
Thanky ou for your help.
I probably should have made it clear, that I am NOT a gamer.
Your help and my additional research have told me (more or less) that easier to install will be a z270 board.
Seems ASRock still supplies all drivers for Win7 and I now plan to use an i5-7600 or 7600K). Are there known problems?
(ASRock tells me that 8th Gen Intel® Core™ desktop processors are supported with Intel® 300 Series chipset motherboards only )

brucepascal

Reputable
Feb 15, 2020
The only thing that is actually improved in 11over 7 is the Snipping Tool...

7 is a lot faster and safer, no data is leaked, no edge, no co-pilot, or other tools to enhance M$'s business... these come to mind immediately...

In my experience the big diference between the ones that love Win 7 and the ones that prefer win 11, is in the use of a compouter.
Win 7 users have a life for which they use a computer. Win 11 have no life outside the didgital realm. For them every update is a great day. WOW; I now can make the corners of my folder round, and use twelve different shades of grey, not even fifty.

Wi 7 users use a computer to gather information to understand things better, Win11 users collect info that confirms their believes. One uses social media, the other, like me, usually does not.... Win 7 users do not want their information pre-selected by Google or M$, even some Win11 users use duckduckgo. I know not one Win7 user that does not...

I like that: RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 @ 5600 CL36... wow, dominator, ey? And 18715 cups? Remember what I wrote about a life OUTSIDE the digital world? There actually is one! But I suppose there are actually real people there. Why make loife complicated, right?

Please, do not misunderstand me, you are totally free to live your live any way you want, and the government lets you. The only one it makes difference to is... YOU.

If you allow, one remark about the help in this forum? I asked about switching my mobo to z270 or 370 and an i5/7 up to the 9th generation? I was told to go ahead.. and would have been in a big mess. Because if I would have done that, I would have really been in deep sh**. Because my computer would not even have started... it could have been a whole list of things right? and NONE OF YOU CLOWNS would have known the answer!

THAT HATRDWARE WOULD HAVE REQUIRED DDR4 ram... and not one of you mentioned that.
Win 11 user's answers... what to do...

USAFRet

Titan
In my experience the big diference between the ones that love Win 7 and the ones that prefer win 11, is in the use of a compouter.
Win 7 users have a life for which they use a computer. Win 11 have no life outside the didgital realm. For them every update is a great day. WOW; I now can make the corners of my folder round, and use twelve different shades of grey, not even fifty.

Wi 7 users use a computer to gather information to understand things better, Win11 users collect info that confirms their believes. One uses social media, the other, like me, usually does not.... Win 7 users do not want their information pre-selected by Google or M$, even some Win11 users use duckduckgo. I know not one Win7 user that does not...
Thats a pretty bold and comprehensive statement.

And totally wrong.