Stephan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

I have a Win98 network with several computers. All are set up so that
Netbeui handles file and printer sharing. Both "Client for MS Networks" and
"File and Printer Sharing" are UNBOUND from the TCP/IP protocol. This has
worked well for me so far and has proven pretty secure when tested by
SheildsUp (www.grc.com).

Now I am introducing a WinXp Pro system to the mix... and I can't seem to
get the WinXp box to see the other computers.. or the other computers to see
the XP system.

I know I can ditch Netbeui and make it all work with file sharing enabled on
all systems under TCP/IP, but I would prefer to remain with my current setup
if possible.

What can I do to make XP and 98 see each other under this setup ?

Thanks in advance for any info, Stephan

"Stephan" <no@no.com> wrote:

> I have a Win98 network with several computers. All are set up so that
> Netbeui handles file and printer sharing.
> I know I can ditch Netbeui and make it all work with file sharing
> enabled on all systems under TCP/IP, but I would prefer to remain with
> my current setup if possible.
>
> What can I do to make XP and 98 see each other under this setup ?

"How to install NetBEUI on Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;301041

"The NetBEUI Protocol Is Not Available in Windows XP" (excerpt)
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;306059

| You can install NetBEUI in Windows XP, but it is an unsupported
| protocol.

You might be better off when uninstalling the old NetBEUI protocol
from all Win98 machines, using TCP/IP in your network instead.

--
d-d

Stephan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

Thanks for the response. I know how to install Netbeui on Win Xp.. it's
already installed.. but the systems dont see each other... and as I
mentioned, I would *prefer* to not ditch my setup if I dont have to so going
to all TCP/IP is a last resort for me.

Stephan

"Stephan" <no@no.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the response. I know how to install Netbeui on Win Xp..
> it's already installed.. but the systems dont see each other...

Well, I was using NetBEUI myself a while ago (mixed WinXP/Win98/WinMe
systems) and it worked. In fact, that protocol is rather simple and
there are not too many things that can go wrong due to the lack of
configuration. If the network doesn't work when using a particular
network protocol, just try another protocol (eg. IPX/SPX or TCP/IP as
recommended) in order to make sure that there are no driver/hardware
issues regarding the WinXP machine.

"Windows XP Network Protocols"
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/network_protocols.htm

> and as I mentioned, I would *prefer* to not ditch my setup if I dont
> have to so going to all TCP/IP is a last resort for me.

"Should I use NetBeui?"
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/netbeui.htm

--
d-d