[SOLVED] Windows 10 BSOD KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE on x64 computer ntoskrnl.exe+3f5e40

AholicKnighter

Reputable
Dec 3, 2020
0KrK7Gs.png

After my computer has been BSODing over and over I have restored my computer from a backup, and for some reason, the BSODing is happening again. I have uploaded the memory dump for anybody to look at:

Memory file dump download: https://ufile.io/sewmi1m9

Solution
if you have done memtest while still getting BSODs with memory corruptions
run aida64 stress test with cpu+ram selected, 30minut stress test should be enough, if you get hardware error detected, try increase ram voltage a little bit (by +0.05volts) or reduce ram speed and repeat test
if ram stress test passes (either ram was ok or you changed frequency/voltage),
then run driver verifier
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/driver-verifier
next BSOD should be with driver in report (if its driver issue)

Colif

Win 11 Master
In case it continues

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

AholicKnighter

Reputable
Dec 3, 2020
In case it continues

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

It has happened again today, and I have uploaded the latest memory dump here: https://ufile.io/o0og0x43

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/7qxhz542/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:060921-15890-01.dmp (Jun 9 2021 - 06:37:02)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: MBAMService.exe)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 57 Min(s), and 52 Sec(s)

Comment: The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)

Comment: You have a ton of software (with drivers) installed. Knowing that a single driver can cause crashes, I would personally remove a few programs from your system at least temporarily. I would remove Avast since there's 12+ drivers from it. VMware has 8+ drivers. Malwarebytes has been known to cause crashes and has 4+ drivers (and was mentioned in the crash). I would remove any other software with drivers (listed in the page that I posted above) that you are not using right now. That would remove about 30 drivers of which a single one may (and may not) be causing your crashes. It wouldn't take an hour to reinstall them all once you have figured out what is causing the BSOD. It also will help to narrow down the issue even if none of them are the issue.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Malwarebytes crashed. it was victim

if you use lan, there are newer drivers - click Win10 Auto Installation Program (SId:1152921505693508652) here - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software
yours aren't that old though

do you have comodo firewall?
Feb 24 2018cmdcss.sysCOMODO Secure Shopping driver
try updating vpn, have seen that sort of software cause errors recently, i think it was even that vpn now I see wireguard below it.

Dec 10 2019wintun.sysWintun Driver (WireGuard LLC)

Internet download manager can cause problems too

you have so many drivers
@gardenman i saw someone with more recently. I wonder what happened that that.

AholicKnighter

Reputable
Dec 3, 2020

if you use lan, there are newer drivers - click Win10 Auto Installation Program (SId:1152921505693508652) here - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

try updating vpn, have seen that sort of software cause errors recently, i think it was even that vpn now I see wireguard below it.

you have so many drivers

Thank you for replying to my thread, yes I know my computer has a lot of drivers and software that I don't even use, I will uninstall the software that I no longer use and get rid of Malwarebytes as that seems to be the driver that crashed for some reason. If the crashing keeps happening I will run Driver Verifier again. Thank you for your help, and I appreciate this a lot.

EDIT: I have previously used COMODO firewall as it was the program I used to firewall programs that I did not want connecting to the internet for obvious reasons. When I get home, I will uninstall all the COMODO products on my computer as with Malwarebytes and the programs that I no longer use.

AholicKnighter

Reputable
Dec 3, 2020

you have so many drivers

I am having BSOD's again and for some reason, it is due to me encrypting my computer with Veracrypt, but when I check BlueScreenView it says NTFS caused it to crash, can you please check these two crash files as they happened today? thank you.
uCwaFZv.png

Download: https://ufile.io/fsea2xit

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/0dmLhas1/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:062121-15296-01.dmp (Jun 21 2021 - 06:47:37)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 9 Hour(s), 07 Min(s), and 25 Sec(s)

File information:062121-14937-01.dmp (Jun 21 2021 - 20:49:41)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 01 Sec(s)
This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

I have been using Veracrypt to encrypt my external drives and it works perfectly fine, Veracrypt also gives you the option to encrypt your OS with it, which I would like to do. Encrypting it is fine, but when it is done encrypting the computer will BSOD with random errors. This only happens with veracrypt because as soon as I decrypt it, the computer no longer BSODs.
This is what BlueScreenView says:
JIrfjVi.png

This has only happened when Veracrypt encrypted the OS.

Here are the memory dumps if you would like to view them: https://ufile.io/6hbabadl

Thank you.
Veracrypt is a really nice tool and works great, if you can use it properly.... When it gives you the option to encypt the os drive it should give you option on a encyption path generally ifyou set it up incorrectly or if you dont know what you doing with it. You can easily do what you have been having a issue with. Your encrypting the "Basic nerve path of the os... So as it is trying to excute certain run commands and trying to control certain application for the os to run properly it hits a encrypted file it's not allowed to access and crashes the system

AholicKnighter

Reputable
Dec 3, 2020
I merged the threads as I must have missed your previous reply, sorry about that.

ntfs is what crashed, its victim, not cause.

ntfs = windows file system
both were during file operations.

what storage drives do you have?

This is the drive that I am encrypting with veracrypt, if the drive is faulty I just ordered a drive that will replace it soon.
xpaib6N.png

AholicKnighter

Reputable
Dec 3, 2020
Veracrypt is a really nice tool and works great, if you can use it properly.... When it gives you the option to encypt the os drive it should give you option on a encyption path generally ifyou set it up incorrectly or if you dont know what you doing with it. You can easily do what you have been having a issue with. Your encrypting the "Basic nerve path of the os... So as it is trying to excute certain run commands and trying to control certain application for the os to run properly it hits a encrypted file it's not allowed to access and crashes the system

These are the steps when I try to encrypt the OS with veracrypt:
Z7Rj38w.gif

I am going to encrypt the computer again, if it BSODs again I will post the dump here.
4Guk6c.png
Oh they have a updated version now. Sorry im used to the original. Alright so your bsod's aren't from the computer files they are due to false encrypting. The os is getting partially encrypted. This happens every now and then, i have a couple a question that may help.
1.) During the encryption are you disablong the firewall?
2.) Are you making sure any and all anti virus are disabled?
3.) What third party apps do you use like anti virus's but not exactly having to do with anti virus persay? "Like glasswire, ip jumpers, any of the fun stuff people tend to use these days."

AholicKnighter

Reputable
Dec 3, 2020
Oh they have a updated version now. Sorry im used to the original. Alright so your bsod's aren't from the computer files they are due to false encrypting. The os is getting partially encrypted. This happens every now and then, i have a couple a question that may help.
1.) During the encryption are you disablong the firewall?
2.) Are you making sure any and all anti virus are disabled?
3.) What third party apps do you use like anti virus's but not exactly having to do with anti virus persay? "Like glasswire, ip jumpers, any of the fun stuff people tend to use these days."

1. Yes
  2. Yes.
  3. I am using Netlimiter and Glasswire to identify new connections and then using Netlimiter to firewall certain programs from connecting to the internet because of "reasons"

And to my best guess, the computer crashed RIGHT when it finished encrypting. You can view the dump here: https://ufile.io/uiju6vxs

The new drive will be coming Saturday so hopefully, the new drive fixes this.

1. Yes
  2. Yes.
  3. I am using Netlimiter and Glasswire to identify new connections and then using Netlimiter to firewall certain programs from connecting to the internet because of "reasons"
And to my best guess, the computer crashed RIGHT when it finished encrypting. You can view the dump here: https://ufile.io/uiju6vxs

The new drive will be coming Saturday so hopefully, the new drive fixes this.
Your drive shouod not be the issue. Does your mobo have a secure boot option in the bios for on boot encryption? Basically their vs of a firewall

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/sw0vtbpL/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:062521-15703-01.dmp (Jun 25 2021 - 19:53:32)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: wallpaper32.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 7 Hour(s), 20 Min(s), and 55 Sec(s)

File information:062521-15656-01.dmp (Jun 25 2021 - 21:38:37)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: nvsphelper64.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 43 Min(s), and 13 Sec(s)
Comment: The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)

gardenman

Splendid
If the issue is VeraCrypt (which we have not verified that yet), then you can try a newer version of the application, or an older version of it. Hopefully one of those have new/older drivers which may fix the issue.

I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/qsuy6pbL/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:062721-19468-01.dmp (Jun 27 2021 - 05:44:34)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for aswArPot.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 10 Hour(s), 19 Min(s), and 56 Sec(s)

Crashing driver: aswArPot.sys (Avast)
I believe that I previously recommended that you temporarily uninstall Avast, VMware, and several others.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i don't like how the blame is moving around, its never the same thing crashing
last one was clearly internet related, i recognise some of the names in the dump text, but the ones on Saturday? One crashed shadownplay, I not sure if that was internet related or not. Other one was wallpaper engine, internet... could all be avast

Still makes me wonder

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

as moving target can be ram as if you fix one thing, something else pops up.