Question Windows 10 can't be installed on new build ?

Jun 30, 2024
Please keep it to 1 thread.
Windows not installing correctly no matter what, tried installing with CSM off which didnt recognize the ssd or usb and sent me to bios, with CSM it recognized both ssd snd usb, finalized the setup (via usb part) the moment it restarts and it should take me to the hello screen of windoes, instead is says that no boot loading disk, i have set the priority to my Sssd from bios and thats thr only one so it cant be messed, i tried reinstalling same problem. Working for this for days any solution or help please

List specs of your hardware.

General recommendations:
  • Disable Fast boot in BIOS,
  • Disable Secure boot in BIOS,
  • Make sure SATA controller is set to AHCI mode (not RAID, not Intel RST (on Intel boards)),
  • Have only single drive connected, while installing windows,
  • Clean OS drive before installing windows onto it using diskpart clean method (Shift+F10 to open command prompt).

diskpart-clean-vs-clean-all-thumbnail.jpg

If you still can't figure this out, then show screenshots with error messages, you're getting.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Reactions: 35below0
Jun 30, 2024
List specs of your hardware.

General recommendations:
  • Disable Fast boot in BIOS,
  • Disable Secure boot in BIOS,
  • Make sure SATA controller is set to AHCI mode (not RAID, not Intel RST (on Intel boards)),
  • Have only single drive connected, while installing windows,
  • Clean OS drive before installing windows onto it using diskpart clean method (Shift+F10 to open command prompt).

diskpart-clean-vs-clean-all-thumbnail.jpg

If you still can't figure this out, then show screenshots with error messages, you're getting.
Inalready tried 4 times reinstallimg when usink dispart to clean both disk and partitions, also converted it to gpt and the other one whoch neither worked,
PC Specs:
Ryzen 5 5600x
Gigabyte B550 DS3H AC rev1.7
Crucial P3 M2 500GB
Kingston Fury 2x8 Dual channel 3200
Mag 650BN

Boot from windows installation media into command prompt mode (press Shift+F10)
execute following and show command output.
May need multiple screenshots to show all
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
list volume
detail disk
If windows was installed in UEFI mode, then first boot option should be "Windows Boot Manager".
Boot entry with drive name in it is for legacy boot. It will not work, if windows was installed in UEFI mode.

Jun 30, 2024
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
list volume
detail disk
If windows was installed in UEFI mode, then first boot option should be "Windows Boot Manager".
Boot entry with drive name in it is for legacy boot. It will not work, if windows was installed in UEFI mode.
do you have discord by any chance?

mmp09

Commendable
Nov 27, 2021
When it throws that error that boot device not found, restart and go into BIOS and see if it lists the boot drive in SATA or M.2 slot wherever applicable.
try updating BIOS to latest.

Or may be the USB installation key is not created correctly. Did you use Rufus to create USB installer from the ISO? What is the source of the Windows 10 ISO? Is it official Microsoft download or some third-party site?

Jun 30, 2024
When it throws that error that boot device not found, restart and go into BIOS and see if it lists the boot drive in SATA or M.2 slot wherever applicable.
try updating BIOS to latest.

Or may be the USB installation key is not created correctly. Did you use Rufus to create USB installer from the ISO? What is the source of the Windows 10 ISO? Is it official Microsoft download or some third-party site?
M.2 is recognised in Bios, changed slots, tried two different USBs, tried rufus with mediacreation tool iso method, also tried media creation tool flash drive method, Bios may not the newest version but the motherboard is rev1.7 ryzen 5000 ready which included factory updatet bios.
I threw my old sata sad with windows pre installed and it works but that sata ssd is near dying so in a few months ill have a non working pc that i just built

mmp09

Commendable
Nov 27, 2021
If I correctly understand, Windows 10 installs first part and restarts, after which BIOS does not find either the bootloader or the boot drive (and ultimately that message)?

Also try Windows 11 ISO as well as some Linux Distro like Mint 21.
See if it goes thru fine or not. I understand your frustration but this may be a time consuming troubleshooting. You need to try out options one by one.

CSM - Legacy mode does not go well with NVMe drives. Crucial P3 is I suppose NVME. With M.2 NVMe UEFI mode is the most recommended and working option.

Create UEFI GPT USB install key using Rufus and try again.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2024
If I correctly understand, Windows 10 installs first part and restarts, after which BIOS does not find either the bootloader or the boot drive (and ultimately that message)?

See if it goes thru fine or not. I understand your frustration but this may be a time consuming troubleshooting. You need to try out options one by one.

CSM - Legacy mode does not go well with NVMe drives. Crucial P3 is I suppose NVME. With M.2 NVMe UEFI mode is the most recommended and working option.

Yes bullseye, tried windows 11 with media creation tool, same error message, i cant explain my anger rn instead of getting happy for finally being able to get a good pc i cant.
Will try to install by rufus Win 10 or 11 uefi and csm disabled+ secure boot and will see where that goes

Jun 30, 2024

Tried rufus gpt, csm disabled secure boot enabled, finished the usb part, then m2 only recognised as a connection but not as a bootable disk

Jun 30, 2024
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
list volume
detail disk
M2 is gpt, csm disabled, secure boot on, finished usb setup but on restart goes to bios because it doesnt find a bootable device

M2 is gpt, csm disabled, secure boot on, finished usb setup but on restart goes to bios because it doesnt find a bootable device
Please show requested screenshots.
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
list volume
detail disk

mmp09

Commendable
Nov 27, 2021
Do you have any option to manually boot from EFI file or manually add EFI boot Entry in BIOS? If there is, try manually creating entry to EFI Partition path EFI\boot\bootX64. efi

If there's no such option, try using third-party app like EasyUEFI (I guess 30 day trial may suffice) to manually create Windows EFI boot entry, and see if it boots or not.

While it's always a bit risky, I would suggest try updating the BIOS to the latest, that will rule out one troubleshooting option.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2024
Do you have any option to manually boot from EFI file or manually add EFI boot Entry in BIOS? If there is, try manually creating entry to EFI Partition path EFI\boot\bootX64. efi

If there's no such option, try using third-party app like EasyUEFI (I guess 30 day trial may suffice) to manually create Windows EFI boot entry, and see if it boots or not.

While it's always a bit risky, I would suggest try updating the BIOS to the latest, that will rule out one troubleshooting option.
ill try to return motherboard and ssd , when i typed bootrec scanos it found windows installation but when typed bootrec rebuildbc it said a device connected is not functioning properly

mmp09

Commendable
Nov 27, 2021
Certainly, that's the next option. Check what is accepted for RMA. If both are accepted, that would be great. A fraction of product lot could be defective out of the box.

Jun 30, 2024
Certainly, that's the next option. Check what is accepted for RMA. If both are accepted, that would be great. A fraction of product lot could be defective out of the box.
I got a receipt, and a 1 year warranty for all my pc parts, i just submited return form hopefully they accept

mmp09

Commendable
Nov 27, 2021
Basically what I meant to say is, you certainly have 1 year warranty. However some brands blindly replace the products, others inspect and run it thru their own testing platform. This is where they should be able to confirm a fault, if they do not find it, they return the same product stating, there's no defect and RMA can not happen.

Jun 30, 2024
Please show requested screenshots.
I did all that again, and again and again, now im exhausted idk what to do anymore, dont know if its motherboards fault or not, even updated to latest bios no changes at all, i tried installin with dcs off the m2 doesnt show as a bootable option, its gpt i repeat its gpt even the usb is gpt partition selected, tried with dcs on uefi only, once mbr once gpt, disk recognised as bootsble but it doesnt find os, tried installing dcs on legacy mode once mbr once gpt, showed at bootable device but no os found, dcs disabled both gpt and mbr and the m2 only shows up on the nvme connections in bios, but not at bootable drives,
I really hope the return request will be accepted for both if yes then will switch to another brand mobo and m2 even if i have to go for a downgrade like b450

TRENDING THREADS