Dec 15, 2021
This is a long post sorry. I have been at this issue for 2 days now. I got a new MSI 3060 ti ventus 3X to replace my place holder card GTX 560 ti (I had to use what was lying around). I plugged it into my motherboard (Asus b450 f gaming) and its handy white led shone like the sun. The light indicates that during boot up something is up with the VGA. So I plug my old gpu back in so I can see what is going on. I download the newest drivers for the 3060 ti but very soon during the update windows crashes with 'SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED'. After restoring previous session I used DDU and nuked any old driver. While in safe mode which I had activated for the cleaning I did a clean install of new drivers (I used both the newest and ones a couple months old just encase). I then restarted my computer and while booting got blue screen of death. I take out the old gpu and only leave in the 3060ti. IT POSTS YAY. I get onto the desktop and it is working. I was pretty tired at this point so went to bed. Next day same white led of hell. Did the same process again only this time after the restart with only the 3060ti seated it posts only to windows saying "something is wrong try some troubleshooting".

I have looked through many forums and done most things I can. I updated my BIOS to the newest version. FAIL. I did a fresh install windows (massive pain losing all my apps but they can be re-downloaded). FAIL.

I checked gpu-z when it posted the first time and it listed all the correct data, the card is not fake and is working.

System information shows that it was the only registered problem,

I did a disk clean with file explorer encase I was missing something.

Switched pcie slots and cleaned them for dust.

Device manager says that something is there but doesn't know its name nor the 'resources it has', saying a code 31 (driver malfunction) and that windows cannot load the drivers to it.

I have done everything I can think of and it isn't working. The card works but the software doesn't. I don't need to tell anyone here how annoying this is. ANY fresh ideas would be extremely helpful. Thank you.

Set up:
EVGA 700w Br
2x8 Corsair vengeance rgb pro 3600
Ryzen 5 3600
Asus B450 F Gaming
MSI 3060ti ventus 3X
SSD for boot Crucial MX500 500gb
Windows 10 pro

Last edited:
Solution
How did you reinstall Windows? Via usb boot? Rather do this than do a reset.

Did you need to set legacy boot to run 560ti? Was this setting returned to Uefi when you updated bios?

Bios set to Uefi only by resetting bios to defaults, reinstall Windows (latest version) from usb. Only have boot drive connected if you have multiple drives so Windows doesn't put boot partitions elsewhere.

If you haven't tried these steps, see how you go. Just setting you up for a clean slate, least knowing it's not bios/software problem but possibly hardware, psu or card.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
How did you reinstall Windows? Via usb boot? Rather do this than do a reset.

Did you need to set legacy boot to run 560ti? Was this setting returned to Uefi when you updated bios?

Bios set to Uefi only by resetting bios to defaults, reinstall Windows (latest version) from usb. Only have boot drive connected if you have multiple drives so Windows doesn't put boot partitions elsewhere.

If you haven't tried these steps, see how you go. Just setting you up for a clean slate, least knowing it's not bios/software problem but possibly hardware, psu or card.

Solution
Dec 15, 2021
And now it has stopped working for the love of God. I hit restart PC and the white led of death comes on. I plug back in the 560 ti to change the BIOS settings for CMS again which have reverted back for some reason and then I can gain access to the PC again. Hit restart have to do the whole process again... no idea what is causing it, will get back to you if I find the cause .

So close yet so far