[SOLVED] Windows 10 doesn't save the update history

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
When i open Settings -> Windows Update -> View update history, i see the following:

Feature Updates (1)
Quality Updates (15)
Driver Updates (12)
Definition Updates (50)
Other Updates (17)

The problem is that the numbers never change, they never grow, despite the fact new updates are constantly being downloaded and installed. Take the "Definition Updates" for example. It doesn't matter how many new updates will be installed, the number always remains 50.

Each time 1 new update is downloaded and installed, one old update disappears from the list. This is why the number remains the same and doesn't grow.

My question is, how do i make Windows 10 save all history of updates, without removing the old history of updates?

Solution
its possible Windows deletes the oldest Definition updates as you get a new one. It Probably only keeps them for so many days. It does that with restore points.

50 is its max - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...s/3dbaf430-8853-48e4-aaa6-604907fcc49b?auth=1
could be default too. You can't change it.

W11 21H2
Feature updates - 1
Quality updates - 50
Driver Updates - 24
Other updates - 28
(I don't have any definition updates as I don't use Defender)

probably doesn't help :)

I will have to watch to see if the Quality update count will go over it - I expect it will as I don't see a version update of win 11 anytime soon. Quality updates are dated between Sept 2021...

Ralston18

Titan
Which Windows Version?

Do you see any references to known missing updates in Reliability History or Event Viewer?

Just for the record my Update History does indeed provide higher counts: 3, 40, 30, 50, and 27 respectively.

Note that my Definition Updates is also 50. May be coincidental.

Could be that Windows does just that: only counts to a certain limit and then rolls the older updates of the list.

With 3 of the 5 counted update categories ending in nice even numbers makes me think that that is the case.

Perhaps a few others reading your post will provide the counts from their respective computers.

When i open Settings -> Windows Update -> View update history, i see the following:

Feature Updates (1)
Quality Updates (15)
Driver Updates (12)
Definition Updates (50)
Other Updates (17)

The problem is that the numbers never change, they never grow, despite the fact new updates are constantly being downloaded and installed. Take the "Definition Updates" for example. It doesn't matter how many new updates will be installed, the number always remains 50.

Each time 1 new update is downloaded and installed, one old update disappears from the list. This is why the number remains the same and doesn't grow.

My question is, how do i make Windows 10 save all history of updates, without removing the old history of updates?
Just what I see.
w10 21h2.

2/41/20/50/32

Never paid attention if those numbers are capped.

Colif

Win 11 Master
its possible Windows deletes the oldest Definition updates as you get a new one. It Probably only keeps them for so many days. It does that with restore points.

50 is its max - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...s/3dbaf430-8853-48e4-aaa6-604907fcc49b?auth=1
could be default too. You can't change it.

W11 21H2
Feature updates - 1
Quality updates - 50
Driver Updates - 24
Other updates - 28
(I don't have any definition updates as I don't use Defender)

probably doesn't help :)

I will have to watch to see if the Quality update count will go over it - I expect it will as I don't see a version update of win 11 anytime soon. Quality updates are dated between Sept 2021 and Now, so I don't see any gaps.

Your install history only goes back as far as last Version update, it is wiped at this stage and starts again so at most your history will be last 6 months, depends when Microsoft releases next version update.
Windows 10 also downloads files via the windows store and you only see those if you look on store or reliability history.

Last edited:
Solution