[SOLVED] Windows 10 installed successfully bu then breaks

Mar 4, 2019
Hi, I recently built a computer for the first time, build parts below:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/yTMpsZ

I then installed a newly bought windows 10 from flashdrive. All is well, then I plugged in a trendnet tew 808ubm wifi adaptor (no wifi on motherboard) and as the updates are downloading, the screen flashes and then comes back as a slightly different windows view (taskbar especially changes) and I can't open anything. Any ideas or help would be so appreciated!

Solution
If you can try and get it to boot into safe mode and view the event viewer that may give you some more details about what driver is actually crashing (I am just guessing graphics driver since it's causing the screen to blank out and look different when it is restored)

What I would do, is reinstall then disable automatic driver updates and you can install all your drivers manually. It does sound like whatever WHQL driver that windows is trying to install on your display is causing some type of problem.
Mar 4, 2019
Did you create your bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? Try connecting the desktop to the www using the Ethernet port.

I did use the Windows Media Creation Tool yes. The modem and ethernet port is in another person's bedroom....is this to test if it is the trendnet adaptor is the issue? I did think it could be as I left the usb out for about 20 minutes after one reinstallation of windows and it only broke once it had been on the internet for 5 minutes.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly by the way, much appreciated!

...I plugged in a trendnet tew 808ubm wifi adaptor (no wifi on motherboard) and as the updates are downloading, the screen flashes and then comes back as a slightly different windows view (taskbar especially changes) and I can't open anything. Any ideas or help would be so appreciated!
Sounds like windows was just updating the drivers for your graphics card, which is normal - however if your mouse and keyboard are not working you may have to force-reboot it and see what happens.

If your wireless is giving you problems I would relocate the PC near the router and go ethernet until all your updates are completed and you can install all your apps and setup to your liking, then tackle the wifi issues will be much easier to deal with once your OS install is 100% completed.

Mar 4, 2019
Often times wireless adapter or NIC's that are either powered by Broadcomm/Qualcomm/Atheros are the issue with drivers when it comes to Windows 10.

Ah OK, I'll try and plug it in via the ethernet cable this coming weekend then. If it does prove to be an issue with the Trendnet USB, what would you suggest going forward?

Thanks again

Mar 4, 2019
Sounds like windows was just updating the drivers for your graphics card, which is normal - however if your mouse and keyboard are not working you may have to force-reboot it and see what happens.

If your wireless is giving you problems I would relocate the PC near the router and go ethernet until all your updates are completed and you can install all your apps and setup to your liking, then tackle the wifi issues will be much easier to deal with once your OS install is 100% completed.

Thanks for your advice! The keyboard and mouse happen after the flash, i guess I'd call it that - it's just that I can't open up tabs or programs after and the taskbar at the bottom right disappears with only the date and time left remaining.

A friend has offered to give me a wifi card, would that work too? I assume I can then forego the ethernet cable stage and download drivers & updates from there?

Thanks again

Thanks for your advice! The keyboard and mouse happen after the flash, i guess I'd call it that - it's just that I can't open up tabs or programs after and the taskbar at the bottom right disappears with only the date and time left remaining.

A friend has offered to give me a wifi card, would that work too? I assume I can then forego the ethernet cable stage and download drivers & updates from there?

Thanks again
Hopefully that will work to give you a more stable connection, good luck!

Reactions: tommy14939
Mar 4, 2019
Hopefully that will work to give you a more stable connection, good luck!
Hello again,

So I tried using both a wifi card and then an ethernet cable to allow me to update my system fully. However, the same issue has occurred again. I have summarised with a recap below:

1. I install the windows 10 installation tool onto a flashdrive.
  2. I install windows 10 onto my system and do not connect to the internet on the initial windows profile setup.
  3. I left the internet off for 30 minutes and experienced no issues.
  4. I then connected to the internet (1st time using wifi card and 2nd time using ethernet cable) and after 3-4 minutes, the screen flashes and then comes back with a slightly different version of the windows desktop.
  5. On this screen, the icons in the bottom right of the screen is gone and replaced with just the date and time.
  6. If I Ctrl-Alt-Del the screen turns black but mouse cursor still shows and can still be moved. Pressing Esc takes me back to the screen mentioned in number 4.
  7. I can interact with the start menu, and any programs I click on will show on taskbar at bottom of screen and will preview when hovered over. However, I cannot maximize any of these.
  8. If I reboot, I am taken to a black screen rather than the windows boot.
  9. From here, my only option is to then reinstall Windows all over again.
  10. I did set a system restore point before connecting to the internet on my last go so could potentially go back to there to work on it?

Any help would be great!

Thanks

If you can try and get it to boot into safe mode and view the event viewer that may give you some more details about what driver is actually crashing (I am just guessing graphics driver since it's causing the screen to blank out and look different when it is restored)

What I would do, is reinstall then disable automatic driver updates and you can install all your drivers manually. It does sound like whatever WHQL driver that windows is trying to install on your display is causing some type of problem.

Solution