[SOLVED] Windows 10 installed twice on same pc. What to do?

gabobo

Prominent
Nov 6, 2018
I just build my new PC and installed windows 10 on a M.2 SSD. I also want to connect my hard drive to my new PC, so I can have my pictures and files. The problem is that I also have windows installed on the hard drive... Should I install the hard drive and delete the second installation of windows though the boot drive? By doing this, will it format by hard drive?

Solution
I already booted my PC for the first time and installed a few things on the SSD. Could I keep the files on my HDD and only delete the windows files? I would transfer the files to my SSD, but it has less space than my HDD...

Yeah you can transfer files from your HDD to your SSD and delete the entire windows folder and such if you want from the HDD. Just make sure all the files you wanted to keep from your HDD is transferred before deleting anything from your HDD.
There is no problems if you have an OS installed on the HDD. Just make sure the boot order in your BIOS after you plugged the HDD is set to be your SSD first so that it does not try to boot with the OS on your HDD.

After that when you're in Windows you can transfer all the files you want from the HDD and then format it if you want.

Important part is you making sure the SSD OS start instead of the HDD OS.

gabobo

Prominent
Nov 6, 2018
There is no problems if you have an OS installed on the HDD. Just make sure the boot order in your BIOS after you plugged the HDD is set to be your SSD first so that it does not try to boot with the OS on your HDD.

After that when you're in Windows you can transfer all the files you want from the HDD and then format it if you want.

Important part is you making sure the SSD OS start instead of the HDD OS.
I already booted my PC for the first time and installed a few things on the SSD. Could I keep the files on my HDD and only delete the windows files? I would transfer the files to my SSD, but it has less space than my HDD...

Yeah you can transfer files from your HDD to your SSD and delete the entire windows folder and such if you want from the HDD. Just make sure all the files you wanted to keep from your HDD is transferred before deleting anything from your HDD.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
First, you test.

Power OFF
Physically disconnect the HDD
Power UP
Does it boot correctly?

If so, then you can wipe the HDD as desired.

And be careful about what "files" you want to transfer.
Your personal files, sure.
Applications, no.

TRENDING THREADS