Aug 30, 2019
Hello, I'm not even sure what's happening here, this just suddenly happened one day when I was trying to search for music with the start menu.

All of a sudden, I get some type of webpage result that just says "Page Not Found" in the start menu when searching for something and I click 'Search My Stuff'. I have no idea what this is, or if some kind of virus overwrote my start menu search or if this is just a weird, dumb Windows 10 bug. I've tried restarting to no avail, it's still broken. Any idea how to fix this? I've tried: Restarting Explorer, Stopping and restarting the Windows Search service, rebuilding the search index. Nada.

Steps I took to reproduce this:
  1. Search for anything using the start menu.
  2. Click or press "Search my stuff"
  3. Screen appears instead of results I'm looking for.

Please help, what is causing this? Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks. Screenshot attached below.

e902b5b7-5d13-4c6d-94c5-8d0a29f525d1

Solution
If you are trying to search for files, by filename, I can very highly recommend the Everything Search tool by voidtools.com, which is what I use myself and far more often than Windows Search.

In addition, I'd suggest trying what follows. If the issue is fixed by option one then there's no need to go further. Stop whenever your issue is fixed:

1. Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

2. Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file
Aug 30, 2019
hi, you may try to restore default option for folder options under search option,

https://prnt.sc/pdmtts

neither, backup your regedit then repair your regedit through ccleaner app or dll.

TQ
Thank you. I have tried restoring defaults in folder options, backing up my registry and optimizing it through CCleaner + restarting. Search is still broken for some reason. Help?

Oct 2, 2019
Hi,
You can try running several commands via Powershell to fix the issue. Just copy and paste them.
  1. Right-click on Windows icon in the taskbar. Choose Windows Powershell (Admin). Click Yes in UAC window.
  2. Enter the given line and press Enter: PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted
  3. Then copy and paste then second command and press Enter:
    $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + ‘\AppxManifest.xml’ ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest
  4. Restart your computer and check if the problem was solved.
Run-Powershell-commands-to-fix-windows-search-not-working.jpg

If still have error follow this guide with more other fix methods
https://geeksadvice.com/fix-windows-search-not-working/

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
and optimizing it through CCleaner

Don't use CCleaner's registry cleaning feature nor any other registry cleaner. They are the proverbial snake oil at best, and can create serious problems in many instances.

When Microsoft, the entity that created and maintains all versions of Windows, specifically advises against the use of registry cleaners/optimizers, it's advice worth heeding:

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities

Aug 30, 2019
Don't use CCleaner's registry cleaning feature nor any other registry cleaner. They are the proverbial snake oil at best, and can create serious problems in many instances.

When Microsoft, the entity that created and maintains all versions of Windows, specifically advises against the use of registry cleaners/optimizers, it's advice worth heeding:

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities
Understood, thanks. I followed you guys' instructions and well... idk what to say. It still doesn't work. I'm still getting this weird Bing "Page Not Found" thing showing when I click 'Search My Stuff'.

The only way it goes away is if I disable my internet connection, restart explorer and then try to search for something, it will finally only show normal, local results in an optional sidebar -as if Bing is still enabled and I can't disable it somehow. However after I connect to the internet again the issue will occur again.

Last edited:

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
If you are trying to search for files, by filename, I can very highly recommend the Everything Search tool by voidtools.com, which is what I use myself and far more often than Windows Search.

In addition, I'd suggest trying what follows. If the issue is fixed by option one then there's no need to go further. Stop whenever your issue is fixed:

1. Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

2. Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

Solution