Aug 17, 2024
Hello all, I am in need of some serious help getting Windows set up on my new build. Here are the specs:

Computer type: Desktop
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7800XT 16GB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Mobo: Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
RAM: ***Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 6000MHZ CL36 w/XMP and EXPO support (see below for details)
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1000W

And I am trying to install Windows 11. Initially, I used corsair vengeance w/ XMP support, not realizing it did not carry EXPO. The BIOS booted, I was able to see my GPU, fans, memory was at a lower speed (4800MHz) I believe due to the lack of EXPO, but everything seemed okay. I wanted to see if I could get away with the RAM not using EXPO, but after successfully installing windows and getting to the setup screens, the system blue screened. My friend and I determined it must have been the memory, so today I go and buy the kingston fury ram above.

I replace the memory, launch the system and it seemingly works fine, sending me into windows setup. As I connect my ethernet and Windows checks for updates, it says that I have lost connection, so I hit 'retry'. This happens again, but this time my mouse and keyboard are not working, no cursor and I cannot navigate with the keyboard. I believe it was at this time that I manually went into the BIOS after a reboot and enabled EXPO, which set the speeds to the expected values. So I reboot the machine once more, try again, but this time the peripherals are not working right off the bat.

At this point, I decided it was likely to be an issue with the original windows installation on my SSD, maybe something got corrupted. This was supported by the fact that I was able to navigate the BIOS smoothly with my mouse (only after enabling EXPO, as before the mouse worked but was quite laggy), but not on Windows. Ok, so I tried to change the boot order in BIOS from

1. Windows boot manager on SSD
  2. USB partition (where the windows image is installed)
to

1. USB partition
  2. Disabled
In order to hopefully reinstall a clean windows image onto the SSD. And now, my computer will not boot whatsoever. No signal on the monitor, no BIOS, no AMI TMP prompt or anything, nothing. I have tried resetting about ten times, resetting power supply, unplugging and reconnecting the windows installation drive, but nothing is working. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: