Windows 7/10 OEM Question

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
Hi so i bought a new system and i am using a retail key in my new system but i am selling my old system to my cousin the question i want to ask is if i install 7 and upgrade to 10 again (cause it was upgraded to 10 in the past) would my cousin be able to use the system perfectly fine using his own Microsoft account for logging into Windows and also his old system is has a cracked Windows in it in which he needs a new system for gaming and he needs a legit Windows as well cause some games were not able to run on the machine he is using at the moment cause it was a cracked Windows 7 he was using which he upgraded to 10 so if it is possible for him to use my old Windows key on the system he is buying because that is the one thing i am clueless about.

Solution
I see.

Yeah its a bit confusing with oem, terms of use has relaxed a bit recently. If oem was bought as stand-alone software which you installed yourself and wasn't preinstalled then you can transfer it to a new system once an ms account is created on the system win10 is currently on. So your cousin needs to create an ms account on the current system before the os is moved to new hardware.

If os was preinstalled the whole Pc will need to be handed over. Or if you did change motherboard there is a chance it'll activate but may need to ring Microsoft.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/OEM/Windows/10/UseTerms_OEM_Windows_10_English.htm

4. Transfer. The provisions of this section do not apply if you acquired the software...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I am guessing the Retail key you are talking about for new PC is Win 10?

What is currently on your old system now? Anything?

If its win 10 and is linked to your account, you can go to here - https://account.microsoft.com/ - and login to account, click the Manage button under devices, login again (cause it likes to confirm you are right user) and if there is only the old PC listed, click on More actions/remove PC. What this does is links licence back to PC.

If win 10 on old PC still and isn't linked to your account, its even easier as this is preferred choice. All you need to do is run a reset to wipe all your data of C drive (this doesn't clear any other drives though)

If there isn't anything on PC now, you don't need to put win 7 on again, just put Win 10 on it since its previously had it installed already, it should reactivate without the win 7 licence key. When you reach screen asking for licence, just click "I don't have a key", and win 10 should continue install and reactivate once finished - all the activation info stored on Microsoft servers now.

You can use your Installer to install win 10 (just not your license linked to new PC)

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013

My old system that my cousin is buying has that Windows key locked onto it but because i was using the system ever since 10 came out as well i just don't know if it is only by key or account for the upgrade to 10.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I see.

Yeah its a bit confusing with oem, terms of use has relaxed a bit recently. If oem was bought as stand-alone software which you installed yourself and wasn't preinstalled then you can transfer it to a new system once an ms account is created on the system win10 is currently on. So your cousin needs to create an ms account on the current system before the os is moved to new hardware.

If os was preinstalled the whole Pc will need to be handed over. Or if you did change motherboard there is a chance it'll activate but may need to ring Microsoft.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/OEM/Windows/10/UseTerms_OEM_Windows_10_English.htm

4. Transfer. The provisions of this section do not apply if you acquired the software in Germany or in any of the countries listed on this site (aka.ms/transfer), in which case any transfer of the software to a third party, and the right to use it, must comply with applicable law.

a. Software preinstalled on device. If you acquired the software preinstalled on a device (and also if you upgraded from software preinstalled on a device), you may transfer the license to use the software directly to another user, only with the licensed device. The transfer must include the software and, if provided with the device, an authentic Windows label including the product key. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software.

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
As Colif said, no need to install Win7 again. Once Win10 is linked to an ms account previously you can jump straight to Win10 install and skip the sections asking for a serial key.

Use Microsoft media creation tool to create a bootable win10 usb stick to install from.

Colif

Win 11 Master

The user that you used on the old PC, was it linked to an email address? Is win 10 still installed on PC?
If you can still use it now, and its currently installed, look in settings/update & security/activation

If next to activation it says - Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account - then the licence is linked to your email address. You need to go to https://account.microsoft.com/ to remove pc from your email address by following this
click the Manage button under devices, login again (cause it likes to confirm you are right user) and if there is only the old PC listed, click on More actions/remove PC. What this does is links licence back to PC.

If next to activation it says Windows is activated with a digital license, then the license key is still linked to the PC and your cousin can link it to his login by simply using PC with his Microsoft account.

If PC doesn't have win 10 on it still, you can still go to the Microsoft link above and see if old PC is linked or not