Windows 7 + Mac to Windows 8

essbeemorton

Honorable
Dec 27, 2014
Hey there,

I'm in a bit of a predicament. I have an iMac running both Mac OS X 10.1 and Windows 7 via Bootcamp. I am going to be selling the iMac soon as I have learned the things I want to do pretty much require a PC. Aside from building the actual PC, I need to figure out how to transfer my data.

I have a 500GB WD My Passport for Mac that has enough capacity to store both my Bootcamp drive and my Mac drive, I just have to figure out how to do that. I have 242GB on my Mac, and 122GB on my Windows partition. Since I'm moving to Windows 8, could I format the drive to NTFS and create a system image in Windows 7 and then add another partition somehow and clone my Mac stuff? Then could I select the system image when I build my PC to have it load everything up from there or does it not work like that? And is there any way I could assimilate my Mac stuff over? I know programs won't work, but I can't even figure out how to clone it into a separate partition.

I've already created a system image in Windows 7, so at least that works, but I still have to get my Mac stuff on there somehow and verify the system image will actually work as a full backup that Windows 8 can use to restore when I get it.