Windows 8.1 Booting Error? : Black screen, Startup Repair

Atomicjames

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
Hi,
The other night I switched my Windows 8.1 PC onto Sleep mode and then went to bed. The following morning I switched on the PC as usual and I saw my desktop. But then I clicked on a folder and the system froze, and lay unresponsive. I switched the power off from the front panel of the computer to restart it. When it came back on, I saw the Windows 8.1 loading screen thing, like I normally do, to find instead of the log on screen, I found myself stuck with an error: bad_system_config_info. I followed some steps from this website and then it seemed to have worked. However, whenever I boot the PC, I get the loading screen, then the screen just goes black. And then after a few seconds the PC will reboot and then do the startup repair thing and try and diagnose my PC, which doesn't work.

When I am in the command prompt after going through the startup repair and to the advanced options, if I navigate to a specific drive (it sometimes changes) there is a file called "Recovery.txt" I can open that (it contains nothing) but allow me to navigate through the files of my computer. All of my normal documents and programs and everything else is still there so I know its nothing to do with that.

I hope I can get this fixed as soon as possible.
Many Thanks,
James Frearson.

P.S I tried going into safe mode and still had this problem.

Solution
If you went into safe mode and still had this issue, then the operating system on your drive is toast. My best advice would be to hook it up as an external somewhere, grab your data, format and reinstall.

I know it sucks, but if a drive fails to boot even in safe mode, then something is seriously wrong. And even if you do correct this primary error, it would be near impossible to tell what other problems it created.

thejackal85

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
If you went into safe mode and still had this issue, then the operating system on your drive is toast. My best advice would be to hook it up as an external somewhere, grab your data, format and reinstall.

I know it sucks, but if a drive fails to boot even in safe mode, then something is seriously wrong. And even if you do correct this primary error, it would be near impossible to tell what other problems it created.

Solution

TejanDua

Reputable
Oct 11, 2016

My boot manager is corrupt(Windows 8.1) and because of it I cannot boot into any of the advanced boot options(such as safe mode , w/ command prompt/networking), is it possible if I remove my HDD and connect it to my laptop using a 3.5 inch external HDD case to backup data and then do as you suggested(format it and reinstall windows)?