Windows 8, Office 2012 Getting Metro UI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]bear95[/nom]don't like it[/citation]
lol... don't like what? You haven't even seen the new UI yet, much less try it out for yourself.

dimamu15

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Looking forward to that. Greatest thing Windows can do, is give us choices. Not just color scheme, which doesn't even make sense, but the gadgets and other unnecessary toys (like Apple, copy Apple, be smart).

This news gives me hope that Windows might just... never mind.

The fonts are thin and tall but stylish, moving away from the current dull and drab typeface that seems to have graced every incarnation of the Windows platform.
What's wrong with the existing fonts? I don't seen anything dull or drab about them...

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
[citation][nom]cjl[/nom]What's wrong with the existing fonts? I don't seen anything dull or drab about them...[/citation]

Nothing, that's probably why they will include an option to allow you to customize it to your taste. They are merely adding new options for people that may appreciate and embrace this.

slothy89

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
[citation][nom]derek2006[/nom]Nothing, that's probably why they will include an option to allow you to customize it to your taste. They are merely adding new options for people that may appreciate and embrace this.[/citation]its been possible to customize the UI fonts since at least windows 95... so thats nothing new.. lol

An OS's typeface should be functional not pretty. Whats the bet they use Comic Sans MS for their font? *shudders*

sudeshc

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
ahhh some revamped UI, interesting i already like win7 ui and now win8's looks promising and yes this will bring WPF's newest version in action even before we get to know it.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
"An OS's typeface should be functional not pretty. Whats the bet they use Comic Sans MS for their font? *shudders*"

Good gods, the idea that function, logic, aesthetics, creativity, academic and artistic abilities and basically the whole range of human activity and experience were able to be seperated and had no effect on each other died out decades ago, with overwhelmingly large bodies of evidence to suggest exactly the opposite is true. Beauty and form can have a profound effect on functionality and productivity.

prakalejas

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
The only thing I need is black windows, taskbar an so on with white text. Running laptop with aero enabled is just waste of limited power. I always switch down to windows classic. I use laptop for work, and aero is not comfortable in first place (despite the fact it is slower).
At least MS should consider making classic style more customizable, no need to waste processing power, desktop space and so on.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Fyend[/nom]Too late MS. Steve Jobs patented the Metro(sexual) UI years ago for OS X.[/citation]

At first I read this and my inner child went "HEHEHE"

Then I read this with a more mature attitude...BAHAHAHAHA. Fyend speaks the truth.

I hope it will catch on and there will be an option to switch to other themes if this one not appealing. Balmer has managed to bury more MS products than the average undertaker...

Katsushiro

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2008
Someone at Microsoft/Toms needs to learn when not to use JPEGs. Those "beautiful" UI elements are absolutely murdered by the compression artifacts.

nao1120

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
3D is a joke best served cold...I got nothing. OK to stay in theaters, but its getting over done and stupid already. The only good thing about it is that it's reducing the price of regular LCD's and other TV's, that's the only positive.

Prescott_666

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Why make a 32-bit version? I think they should just move on to 64-bit for Windows 8.

That was supposed to be the plan, but when Microsoft decided to support ARM, they were also stuck with 32-bits

dallaswits

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
32 bit must be maintained.
Just speaking from the stand point of an IT consultant in the dental field, where all xray equipment and practice management software is 32 bit only and very slow to transition. And we need Win Tablets... soon. Or apple will kill off windows in these small offices.

verbalizer

Distinguished

^+1

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I don't understand ANY need for a 32bit OS. ALL new (and most old still in use) CPUs are 64bit.
I run 64 bit Win 7 with NO 32bit issues.
Even the old funky 10-year old 3D games run smoothly.
I thought ALL new (full sized) ARM CPUs are 64 bit - wrong ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS