Windows 8 to Have 3 R's: Recovery, Reset, Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

samely

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Interesting, liking the Windows 8 news, Marcus. Seeing "keep my stuff" makes me laugh. I'm sure that'll be a bit more professional once it comes out.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I would LOVE this feature for Windows 8, but I wonder if it will reinstall software not from the MS App Store. If it doesn't, it's pretty useless to me... I don't have anything from the App Store yet! :)

Great more problems and three times the disk space consumption. God forbid one has no choice but to buy a 1 or 2TB drive just for endless restore points x.x

Every week when I do a clean up I free up 60gb or more every time.

mrmez

Splendid
Ahhh M$. Still chasing that elusive cure for crappy-ness

Why don't they figure out how to make their OS not crash and burn in the first place, then they won't need bandaids like that.

el33t

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
[citation][nom]mrmez[/nom]Ahhh M$. Still chasing that elusive cure for crappy-nessWhy don't they figure out how to make their OS not crash and burn in the first place, then they won't need bandaids like that.[/citation]

Ya know you are being quit unreal there.

gti88

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Acronis True Image is better choice. You can backup your fresh system disk before and after all programs are installed.
Then, you can reinstall an image within 30 minutes.

marlowwe

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
[citation][nom]mrmez[/nom]Ahhh M$. Still chasing that elusive cure for crappy-nessWhy don't they figure out how to make their OS not crash and burn in the first place, then they won't need bandaids like that.[/citation]

Hating on Microsoft is so 2001.

ordcestus

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Great more problems and three times the disk space consumption. God forbid one has no choice but to buy a 1 or 2TB drive just for endless restore points x.x Every week when I do a clean up I free up 60gb or more every time.[/citation]
60 gig a week? what are you doing with that computer?.

Anyway i think this is a nice feature as long as it actually does a full and proper reinstall. I have a feeling that it won't be though and most of us will just pop in the disk every 6 months or so

eusebe

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
A computer is like a coffee machine... once in a while you need to purge it from it's deposit...
But, Crosoft dit a good job...
XP=every 6 months
VISTA=every year
SEVEN=... I have it for more than a year and it's still running great

angryfingertips

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
This is great ideal on MS part. They have something similar in Office for a long time, but it is hidden. I've needed to use it a couple of times to get a users computer back to where it needed to be. We have had reset switches to reboot computers as far as I can really remember. Hopefully 8 will be great and miss the every other copy of Windows is horrible jinx.

dreamer77dd

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
i would like this feature but i would want a clean install. would they take all my stuff and send it to the cloud? Would they delete all the programs and just let me download from their app store again. maybe give me the updated version to replace my old software to make it easy on them selves. ? makes you wonder what they plan to do. Well they have the software you could have option to update or download what you already own. you could have this new software for additional 50$ if you would like to upgrade.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
"Windows rot". So there's actually a technical term for Microsoft's in-built **** quality? I use Linux and OSX because they don't "rot". They run just as good 3 years later as they do on day one. No sluggishness, no slow death, no hard drive grinding away wondering WTF is it doing. Not a fanboy, or even loyal to any brands; I'm just an "Anything but Microsoft" fan - because I like to use my computers to DO work - not spend all my time trying to make them work.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]"Windows rot". So there's actually a technical term for Microsoft's in-built shit quality? I use Linux and OSX because they don't "rot". They run just as good 3 years later as they do on day one. No sluggishness, no slow death, no hard drive grinding away wondering WTF is it doing. Not a fanboy, or even loyal to any brands; I'm just an "Anything but Microsoft" fan - because I like to use my computers to DO work - not spend all my time trying to make them work.[/citation]

That's crap, just like anything, all operating systems need maintenance and care, even OSX, my mothers husband has OSX and he experiences degradation over time, even the Linux kernel gets clogged up at times and needs a successful reboot in order to clear it.

The question remains, would you rather have a windows OS that can do anything but you have to maintain it more or linux/OSX that can do only a small %-age of what windows can do but requires less maintenance?

Do you see the pattern? the OS that does more needs to be maintained more, its all relative people...

G

it will never be like a good bios formating, is the disk formatting and the new alocation and defragment what make a fresh os install faster and lighter.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Have not reinstalled windows xp in about 6 years (since I stuck with similar chipsets when upgrading, I was able to avoid having to reinstall. and since I keep the startup clean.

the main thing that slows windows down is the random startup items, services, and other items that load during the boot process (windows loading screen.)

If you keep these sections of the OS clean, and also disable some of the crap that comes with windows. Windows will run just as fast or faster than a fresh install.

All you have to do is take an active part in keeping what the OS loads, clean and this will keep everything running fast.

Microsoft can easily keep the installs for most users, even people new to using windows, clean. Just get them used to the inner workings of the registry, get them used to knowing what is loaded during the startup (including the preboot stages) Have them know about what each windows service does so they can disable the ones they don't need, and have them know about which drivers are needed to be loaded during the startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.