Windows 8 to Support Native ISO and VHD Mounting

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Ok, I'm sold Microsoft I'll buy Windows 8. Goodbye Daemon Tools! The ability to burn .iso images to CDs was nice in Windows 7 but this takes the cake.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]o no, it couldn't be that someone just doesn't like windows vista or 7, and it sure isnt the fact that xp still runs perfectly fine.i have more problems with the 2 win 7 pcs than my xp machine that hasn't been formated in 2-3 years and survived 6 hard drive failures. i'm hoping that with win 8, ms addresses all my complaints, but we all know that will never happen.[/citation]

Yeah & my model T still runs just fine! Maybe its your hardware that's the problem buddy.

G

I wonder if it's auto mount when click on ISO? If it does, then it could mean we can just double click on ISO file in Media Center and it will load the movies.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Hi runswindows95 :hello: . I agree with you in one way & that is to keep windows XP around for a lot longer. :lol: Although you could be right & miss windows 7,but I'm the one that would usually try every operating system & keep it rather then selling it off on eBay when the next operating system comes in. ;) By the way I still keep at least two XP operating systems up at any one time. :sol:

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]o no, it couldn't be that someone just doesn't like windows vista or 7, and it sure isnt the fact that xp still runs perfectly fine.i have more problems with the 2 win 7 pcs than my xp machine that hasn't been formated in 2-3 years and survived 6 hard drive failures. i'm hoping that with win 8, ms addresses all my complaints, but we all know that will never happen.[/citation]
I think I've found your issue. It can be found between the chair and keyboard in front of your computer screen. I believe they call it the "user". Yeah.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]Wish I Was Wealthy[/nom]Hi alidan. I agree with you about windows XP. XP should be kept for our main operating system & we only just try new operating systems when they come in,to see how they perform. Although it does not mean that I'll leave XP just because another operating system performs good enough. I will keep XP for as long as I can offline as well as online.[/citation]

[citation][nom]Wish I Was Wealthy[/nom]Hi runswindows95 . I agree with you in one way & that is to keep windows XP around for a lot longer. Although you could be right & miss windows 7,but I'm the one that would usually try every operating system & keep it rather then selling it off on eBay when the next operating system comes in. By the way I still keep at least two XP operating systems up at any one time.[/citation]

I can't help but point out that your attitude of saying "hi" to nearly everyone and saying that you agree with them is increasingly annoying and I'm not sure whether you genuinely don't realize you're making a fool of yourself or you're trolling. Just saying.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Funny about how people complain when microsoft doesn't change much in their OS, and still continue to do so even when the company does change and improve things.

I think it's a great step forward, even if they're behind times. After all, microsoft's user base doesn't comprise of just Tom's members and power users. I think they're trying to make Windows 8 the sort of OS that everyone can use with ease (although i'd note that i could use win 95 without too much of an issue when i was 5 years old, but we all know today's kids are controlled by Apple ;) ). There are many people who'd sit and stare at an iso file for days, only to call in tech support at the end. This is good for them.

[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]I can't help but point out that your attitude of saying "hi" to nearly everyone and saying that you agree with them is increasingly annoying and I'm not sure whether you genuinely don't realize you're making a fool of yourself or you're trolling. Just saying.[/citation]

+1.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
While it's kind of funny to see MS "catching up slow" to what's been around for many years, let me remind you that it is NOT Microsoft's task to supply you with software for all kinds of tasks you may or may not wish to perform on your machine. They already do quite a bit by supplying you with the OS itself as well as Office, Security Essentials and whatnot.

And when MS tries to provide you with something, y'all get upset that MS is "forcing" their "bloatware" on you and flame them. There's no satisfying you, huh?

But yeah, I agree... could've put that in Win Vista or 7 already. Still, I don't mind getting third-party software for rather non-standard tasks. You have to agree, working with disk images isn't something that an average user does. But then again, average user is stupid and shouldn't set the standard for development.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]While it's kind of funny to see MS "catching up slow" to what's been around for many years, let me remind you that it is NOT Microsoft's task to supply you with software for all kinds of tasks you may or may not wish to perform on your machine.[/citation]
Given that a base Windows 7 installation is around 7-8GB, I reckon it should include all that software, and the kitchen sink. Sadly, a base Windows installation doesn't actually contain that much useful software.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]madjimms[/nom]Yeah & my model T still runs just fine! Maybe its your hardware that's the problem buddy.[/citation]

a 3 core laptop at i believe 2.4ghz 4gb of ram, and a 4 core 2.8ghz with a hd 4850 1gb and 4gb of ram

both oses are 64bit, and every time that i use them, i find something new that i hate, i have had both for well over a year now and i think that the one that isnt a laptop is going on 2 years.

yea... after 2 years of using the os, you think i would be use to all the crap they changed for change sake, not changed to make it better. thats why my xp machine has the better hardware, granted only 3 gb of ram, but thats because its not 64bit and more than 3 would be kind of pointless.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Actually, it's more, if you do a "common" and not minimal install :D We installed Win7 Ultimate x64 on my friend's 30 GB (28 GB after shaking off base 2 and base 10 differences) SSD, and it took about 18-20 GB. After reducing pagefile (stupid Win7 assumed that since we have 8GB of RAM, pagefile should be of the same size) to 1GB and switching off hibernation (hiberfile.sys is 6GB) the install size got more... sane.

I understand you, but given Win7's ability to recognise all kinds of devices XP wouldn't dream of recognising, I assume that this space is mostly drivers... also, eye candy (though, Compiz delivers way more eye candy and takes barely any disk space) and other stuff (which? can't think of anything, lol).

I normally don't care whether an OS takes 2GB or 20GB as long as I have an internal drive which is bigger than 60GB, but in these particular cases like the one I've described it becomes annoying. Maybe MS should think of shrinking the install size for Win8. Won't getting rid of legacy code do it? I hope it will help.

kanaida

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
It's a welcome addition, even though Daemon Tools already do this on it's own. I suspect they're trying to collect data statistics for one reason or another. Using ISO mounting tools is mostly used for not so legit purposes.

kanaida

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
If you're still running windows xp, you're really asking for it as far as getting a contaminated pc. You should really try linux Mint 11. It does everything no prob. Except netflix and craptunes.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
It just goes to show you how far behind the Times MS is when they are introducing stuff into their OS they should have put in back 10 years ago. What's next Windows 9 to come out with a half decent CD\DVD\BD Burner software. lol

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Bye amk-aka-phantom. :hello: Also keep on having a luny time :pt1cable: out there in toms hardware forum land. :sol:

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Why so many haters? Microsoft didn't have to do this, the same way they didn't have to have native support for DVD playback, native DVD writing, so when they do something they didn't have to and add extra functionality people have a moan about it?

Need to sort out your life.

What was that bit awhile back about xbox 360 games and Windows 8? Could that tie in somehow? They probably didn't throw this "feature" in for shiz and giggles. Maybe its just a necessary component of something else they have up their sleeves.

Status
Not open for further replies.