Windows 8 to Use Multi-Cores for Shutdown, Startup

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Metro is a way to eventually make their OS smaller... the Win32.API has support for MS-DOS (in a way) Windows95~Win7 support. That is a lot of crap. Metro won't need Windows some day.

This is the smartest and only way to get off the Windows OS and keep compatibility, for now. This process will take 5~7 years to complete... is my guess.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Apparently MS is obsessed with Metro. I could see it being used for tablets and smart phones but it has no place for desktop not to mention servers. I am not going to mind it as long as MS gives me option to completely remove that crap. I read all new features of Windows 8 and i see no benefits of it over Windows 7 infact i see anything beneficial in Windows 7 over Windows XP. If MS ever made DX11 for Windows XP i would be still on that OS to be more precise Windows XP x64 Edition. We are going to third Windows iteration after Windows XP, and Windows XP is pretty much still dominant on market...slightly less. That should tell something to MS and that is the people don't want what they have to offer in term of design and features. In my opinion MS doesn't know what they are doing anymore. They lost concept and idea of what OS should be during Vista development.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
The best OS MS ever made was Windows 2000 Professional unfortunatelly didn't live for long. MS did everything right with that OS and nothing beats its professional slick look. Windows GUI schema is not quite same one you bring as classic theme from Windows XP or Windows 7. Windows 2000 GUI had specific font, gray color and icons and as i said best looking OS ever.

G

@lradunovic77

so basically you rate the OS on GUI alone...... alot of the stuff under the hood for win2k was passed down to winXP and win7

do some serious work and you'll realize 7 is heads and shoulders above xp, the damn network stack in itself is far superior and worth the upgrade alone, XP although superior to 98 still suffers from resource leaks and kernel bloat and still requires a reboot once a while if your doing some serious work in it (though not as much as 98), driver implementation on 7 is also more stable, win 7 is more able to restart a driver where in past XP would just BSoD

but you really need to get some hands on with win8 to fully appreciate it, most the stuff MS has been harping on is just for the general public to build interest, but for me the real stuff behinds the scene is much more interesting, the kernel improvement feels much better, more zippier, it enters and exit hibernation/sleep far better and using less resources while doing so, you can actually use the machine within 5 secs of coming out of hibernate (5 sec after the desktop becomes available), it would take up to a minute for my machine to become fully responsive on win7

now im no zealot and say it's the best thing since slide bread, i would need to spend alot more hands on time to say for sure, im not sold on Metro Tiles and im still unsure about the new suspend status for applications (some applications now suspend rather than close out, in fact they lack the close function altogether, IE is the biggest offender), but moving between metro and desktop is as easy as a slide or click of the mouse, it's not a use metro or traditional scenario, they both coexist happy along side each other

Massacher

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
does that include the processes you have set to start up once the desktop is up, or is it just Windows itself?
i find that Win 7 boots pretty quick, though the process that i have set to start up, AV, Anit-Malware, etc take a few minutes extra and the desktop isn't ready to use until they have started.

Status
Not open for further replies.