[SOLVED] Windows and Hard Drives

Dec 21, 2020
New user here, my drives are both set as active, but i cannot boot without the secondary aka the one i use to store games.
To make myself clear why did windows install a boot file on non essential drive ? Now i cannot swap hard drives , and installing new os is impossible because i have important info.

the other solution i found is cloning disk a to disk 0 primary and disk 0 has 120gb while disk a has 1tb

its crazy , i dont want to wait days for backing up disk a to external and writing down info from disk a mostly importantly info and coston settings that will take days and wont be prefect .

my question is how do i boot windows ONLY from disk 0 and swapping drives ?

Solution
Yup, two problems here. Windows should be installed with only the desired OS drive installed and the more serious problem of no backup of important info. I wouldn't even bother worrying about the first problem until you fix the second one. If the loss of a hard drive results in anything more than a shoulder shrug and a quick thought of "oh, I'll have to replace that," then there are serious issues with your backup solution.

USAFRet

Titan
Why does it do that? Only MS knows.
We all dislike it doing that.

But, this happens when there are more than one physical drive connected during the OS installation.
The boot partition ends up on the other drive.

"and installing new os is impossible because i have important info "
This, however, is more problematic.
Your data should never be at the mercy of a single drive.
An OS reinstall or drive replacement should never impact your "important data".

I'll see if our resident guru for this is around. He can probably walk you through the steps of getting it to boot form the desired drive properly.
@SkyNetRising , you assistance, sir.

In the meantime, please post a screencap of your Disk Management window.

Reactions: CountMike

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yup, two problems here. Windows should be installed with only the desired OS drive installed and the more serious problem of no backup of important info. I wouldn't even bother worrying about the first problem until you fix the second one. If the loss of a hard drive results in anything more than a shoulder shrug and a quick thought of "oh, I'll have to replace that," then there are serious issues with your backup solution.

Solution