Windows background

Hi

I am running windows 2000 Professional on my laptop. and I was able to have
different background on the windows, undil this morning. all of a sudden my
screen picture change with a plain blue clour. ritht click on the disk top
and properties and under the background every thing is grayed ouit, there is
no way I can change anything. all the other tabes like - Screen saver,
appearance, Web, effects and settings all are ok. how can I change the
background
--
Raghu Ollakal
System Administrator

There are a couple of things I can think of off the top of my head. If this
occurs to only one user logging on to this machine then it is more likely a
user based issue, i.e. Profile or Privilages that might have been changed.
However other options include:

1) If you on a Domain (rather than on a Workgroup)
a) If your on a Domain, has a Group Policy been applied to remove Desktop
access or apply a specific Policy to stop users from changing their Windows
Desktop.
b) If a Group Policy has been applied you'll need to remove either the
machine or your account (depending on how it was applied) from the "Apply
Policy" option then log off and log back on again. Typing "gpupdate" from the
command line will also apply the updated policy.

2) Have you recently changed the privilages from the account you use to log
onto this local machine..?
a) Put the settings back to the way the were previously.
b) Try running a Remote Desktop connection to this machine using "mctsc"
from another Windows machine, if the problem still exists then try..

3) Delete your profile from the local machine, you'll find this under
C:\Documents and Settings\%username% (if multiples are there you'll have a
".domain" after the username).
a) NOTE: This option will cause you to loose settings and possibly files,
it would therefore be recommended you backup or even just rename this
directory as part of this process.

Hope this helps..