Jarv_99

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
Hello,

So for the past 2 days I was having BSOD's on my computer, I couldnt fix them no matter what so I decided to try to do a clean install of Windows 10.

I made a bootable USB, booted off of it. Wiped the SSD using disk partition. As I tried to install it, during the phase "Getting files ready for installation" it always gets BSOD, I've never gotten past it.

These BSOD codes consist of (from most frequent to least):
  1. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD (same type of BSOD i got before wiping SSD)
  2. SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
  3. KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
  4. PAGE_FAULT_NONPAGED_AREA
Sometimes these bsods include a file named "NTFS.sys".

Some things I have tried to fix the error are
  • Update BIOS to latest version
  • Clear CMOS to reset BIOS to stock settings/clocks
  • Test all my RAM sticks (take out one & the other, test individually)
  • Take out graphics card
  • Reseat SATA & Power cables to SSD
In terms of hardware diagnostics, I have run memtest86 for 4 hours and it passed all 48 tests with 0 errors, same with Windows Memory Diagnostic

Please let me know if anyone has any solutions, I don't know how to access dump files as this is on a SSD with no windows installed on it.

My specs:
Intel i7-4770​
2x8GB G.skill ARES 1600Mhz​
PowerColor RX 470​
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI Rev 1.1​
SSD: Samsung EVO 850 500GB​
XFX 550W Power Supply​
Thank you!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you test ram using memtest? If not, Try running memtesst86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 8 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. IT creates a bootable USB so no need for windows.

most BSOD on a clean ssd with no windows anywhere are RAM.

Jarv_99

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
Did you test ram using memtest? If not, Try running memtesst86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 8 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. IT creates a bootable USB so no need for windows.

I'll try each stick individually, I did do it already with both installed, and it passed all 48 tests with 0 errors.

I also just borrowed some RAM from my brother so I'll let you know what happens

Jarv_99

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

UPDATE: New RAM also gave me a BSOD, if it's a hardware problem it has to be either motherboard or CPU, I've tried installing on many different Hard drives at this point and they all give me the same error, However wouldn't it give me a different ERROR CODE if it were to point towards the CPU/Motherboard?

I want to exhaust all software options before looking to replace my CPU/motherboard

Colif

Win 11 Master
Sorry, blind about line where you said you ran it already...

You could run this on CPU - http://www.tcsscreening.com/files/users/IPDT_UEFI/

its not gpu as you get errors if its not in PC?

I don't think it would be ssd, it is hard to test samsung drives without windows. can you put drive in another PC and run Samsung Magician on it? see its smart score.

Motherboard impossible to test really. Only way to know for sure is swap it in for a working one, and thats expensive unless you are a repair shop or have heaps of spare motherboards lying around (not likely). Best way is therefore test everything else and find out what isn't the cause.

it is always possible its the PSU as power effects everything. Just throwing out possibilities.

Could try installing with just 1 ram stick in.
no additional extra USB devices attached, no external hdd, no extra PCI cards.

Jarv_99

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

I don't think it would be ssd, it is hard to test samsung drives without windows. can you put drive in another PC and run Samsung Magician on it? see its smart score.

Motherboard impossible to test really. Only way to know for sure is swap it in for a working one, and thats expensive unless you are a repair shop or have heaps of spare motherboards lying around (not likely). Best way is therefore test everything else and find out what isn't the cause.

it is always possible its the PSU as power effects everything. Just throwing out possibilities.

UPDATE: It was possibly my CPU Voltage, when I reset my BIOS settings it always defaulted to 1.086V but I bumped it to 1.25V to see if anything would change

I am now booted into windows, hopefully It will live :)

Jarv_99

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

Just BSOD'd after 6 hours