Question Windows crashes after loading only when running on GPU

Juan G

Honorable
Feb 24, 2014
Hi everyone, I’m a bit frustrated and can’t seem to find a solution so naturally I came here. My specs

Asus ROG 27” 1440 TN panel
4th gen i5 CPU
Asus ROG Strix 2070
PNY 770 (spare GPU)
Asus low end mobo (can’t remember the model)

So I’d been using my 2070 for 2 months now without a problem. 2 weeks ago I started having issues with Apex, quick search revealed it was a known issue with Nvidia drivers, last update seemed to fix it.

Yesterday, Apex started crashing at the begining of every game. I tried playing other demanding games like BDO, Vermintide 2, etc and they all crashed after no more than 2 mins playing. Old not demanding games worked fine like Starcraft and AoE (yes I still play those). I did a clean install of Windows with no luck, rolled back to last Nvidia working drivers no luck, reseated GPU no luck. I then wanted to test it out with my old 770, after installing Nvidia drivers system crashed, tried rebooting several times only to see it crash 10 or so seconds after start up. Restored my system to after clean install and it runs fine with the built in CPU graphics but crashes as soon as I load Nvidia drivers.

I’m stuck and don’t know what to do. I am not an expert but I’ve been able to resolve practicaly any issue myself.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!